About the Team
The OpenAI Alignment Team’s research goal is to make machine learning models that are honest and helpful to humans. We put an emphasis on solutions that scale well as models become more capable - our strategy is to have AI models both learning from human feedback and helping humans in their day to day. For an example of recent work, see our paper on critiques.
About the Role
We’re looking for a software engineer who will develop tools and prototypes for human-model interaction that can be used by our Alignment team to both carry out existing research and test out new research domains. In this role, you will:
- Create great UI experiences: for both labeling tasks (e.g. humans giving feedback on model outputs) and internal dashboards (e.g. researchers browsing the data collected)
- Improve our data collection processes: create workflows for onboarding labelers, giving feedback on their work, and ensuring high quality outputs.
- Design and implement infrastructure for live interaction between humans and models (e.g. models assisting humans, humans red-teaming models)
- Explore tools that use machine learning models to help humans think, write, code, do research, etc.
You might thrive in this role if you:
- Have a curiosity about aligning ML models and want to use your career to help address this challenge
- Enjoy creating modern UI experiences (e.g. making reactive websites, hacking on browser extensions)
- Like building general frameworks and infrastructure that could be used for many different projects
- Enjoy fast-paced, collaborative, and cutting-edge research environments
OpenAI is an AI research and deployment company dedicated to ensuring that general-purpose artificial intelligence benefits all of humanity. We push the boundaries of the capabilities of AI systems and seek to safely deploy them to the world through our products. AI is an extremely powerful tool that must be created with safety and human needs at its core, and to achieve our mission, we must encompass and value the many different perspectives, voices, and experiences that form the full spectrum of humanity.
At OpenAI, we believe artificial intelligence has the potential to help people solve immense global challenges, and we want the upside of AI to be widely shared. Join us in shaping the future of technology.
Compensation, Benefits and Perks
The annual salary range for this role is $200,000 – $370,000. Total compensation also includes generous equity and benefits.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
- Mental health and wellness support
- 401(k) plan with 4% matching
- Unlimited time off and 18+ company holidays per year
- Paid parental leave (20 weeks) and family-planning support
- Annual learning & development stipend ($1,500 per year)
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities, and requests can be made via email@example.com.