About the Team
We believe that increasing compute is a huge lever to AI progress.
The Supercomputing team owns the entire process of building OpenAI’s compute and infrastructure, which includes
- The sourcing of hardware and system design,
- The deployment of huge clusters using Kubernetes and Azure,
- Building the internal experiment platform for running/training the world’s largest AI models.
We work at the very cutting edge of speed and scale, combining the traditions of High-Performance Computing (HPC) in a modern cloud and containerized environment.
We build some of the largest Supercomputers in the world. When our Owl cluster launched it in 2019 it would've been among the top 5 of the TOP500 supercomputers in the world. Since then we've only continued to grow. See this blog post to get a sense of what kind of challenges we solve in our day-to-day work: Scaling Kubernetes to 7,500 Nodes
You won’t encounter any other organization in the world with as much compute per employee. We are a small team that moves quickly, with access to huge resources, working with a direct impact on the success of OpenAI and, by extension, the field of AI as a whole.
About the Role
As a technical program manager at OpenAI, you will help bring our compute roadmap to life, navigating an array of technical and partnership challenges. We’re looking for people who are excited about navigating new technical frontiers and passionate about building.
In this role, you will:
- Manage our supercomputing systems, working across technical, cross-functional and external stakeholders
- Help develop and deliver large distributed systems
- Lead deployment of supercomputing systems with strategic partners
- Support system design and evaluation, pairing with industry leaders at the forefront of computing innovation
You might thrive in this role if you:
- Want to help build and maintain some of the world’s largest supercomputing systems, working at the edge of complex hardware and software challenges
- Enjoy working with and enabling world-class AI Researchers and Engineers
- Are passionate about the technical program function, and enjoy independently owning and delivering on your teams’ goals and cutting-edge problems in AI
OpenAI is an AI research and deployment company dedicated to ensuring that general-purpose artificial intelligence benefits all of humanity. We push the boundaries of the capabilities of AI systems and seek to safely deploy them to the world through our products. AI is an extremely powerful tool that must be created with safety and human needs at its core, and to achieve our mission, we must encompass and value the many different perspectives, voices, and experiences that form the full spectrum of humanity.
At OpenAI, we believe artificial intelligence has the potential to help people solve immense global challenges, and we want the upside of AI to be widely shared. Join us in shaping the future of technology.
Benefits and Perks
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
- Mental health and wellness support
- 401(k) plan with 4% matching
- Unlimited time off and 18+ company holidays per year
- Paid parental leave (20 weeks) and family-planning support
- Annual learning & development stipend ($1,500 per year)
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability or other legally protected statuses. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities, and requests can be made via email@example.com.