About the Team
The Applied AI Team’s purpose is to commercialize OpenAI’s technology in a manner that leads to broadly beneficial Artificial General Intelligence (AGI) - in particular, by gaining practical experience in deploying these technologies safely. Within Applied AI, Product Policy’s mission is to define acceptable uses of OpenAI’s technology; to work with Detection and Response to ensure that technology is not used in unsafe ways; to advance the set of use-cases that OpenAI can safely permit; and to deliver a great developer experience with respect to safety.
In 2020, we introduced GPT-3 as the first technology on the OpenAI API, allowing developers to integrate its ability to understand and generate natural language into their product. In 2021, we launched Copilot, powered by Codex, in partnership with GitHub, a new product that can translate natural language to code. In April 2022, we introduced DALL-E 2, AI that creates images from text.
About the Role
We are looking for Product Policy managers to develop and manage the content and usage policies for our platforms, including the OpenAI API and OpenAI Labs. Providing access to powerful AI models introduces a host of challenging questions: What use cases should be permitted? How do we balance goals of access and broad benefits with possible safety and security threats? How do we effectively communicate the policies with our customers? As an early member of the team, you’ll help shape policy creation and development at OpenAI and make an impact by helping ensure that our groundbreaking technologies are truly used to benefit all people.
The ideal candidate can identify and clarify the most important policies to enact and develop deep subject matter expertise in their policy areas. They can balance internal and external input in making complex decisions, carefully think through trade-offs, and write principled, enforceable policies based on our values. Ultimately, our product policies will be fundamental to achieving OpenAI’s mission of broad benefits from AGI.
In this role, you will:
- Develop specific policies to address new use cases, new issue areas, and new products, based on OpenAI's values
- Create product policies from first principles that uphold OpenAI's values and principles
- Prioritize what product policy topics to tackle, in what order, at what level of depth, in collaboration with our product, security and policy research teams
- Develop deep subject matter expertise in your particular policy areas
- Research and weigh the benefits of particular use-cases against their risks
- Iterate policies based on feedback on enforceability and edge cases
- Define safety requirements to unlock further use-cases and continue improving the safety of our technology
- Create internal alignment and work with the broader AI and tech policy ecosystem to adopt and contribute to best practices
- Align internal stakeholders around frameworks and OpenAI’s overall approach to product policy; educate external stakeholders about these matters
- Work with significant partners on product policy questions to promote healthy, effective and consistent ecosystem norms
- Partner with internal and external researchers to adapt our policies based on latest research and best practices, and to define safety requirements for unlocking further uses of our technology
You might thrive in this role if you:
- Have experience developing, refining and enforcing product policies, especially at leading technology- or developer-focused companies
- Have experience aligning product policy decisions between diverse sets of stakeholders, such as Product, Engineering, Security, and Legal
- Have strong customer empathy, and a passion for finding the right balance between enabling developers to experiment and the safe deployment of AI
- Have experience articulating and communicating policies and their reasoning to varied audiences, including customers, internal stakeholders, executive leadership, etc.
- Can understand the operational challenges of enforcing product policies, including in the content moderation space, and can incorporate this to policy design
- Can analyze the benefits and risks of open-ended problem spaces, working both from first-principles and from industry best practices
- Are familiar with policy and safety/responsibility questions related to AI specifically
Note that this role involves grappling with questions of sensitive uses of OpenAI’s technology, including at times erotic, violent, or otherwise-disturbing material. At times, this role will involve engaging with such content, as may be necessary to inform our policy approaches.
OpenAI is an AI research and deployment company dedicated to ensuring that general-purpose artificial intelligence benefits all of humanity. We push the boundaries of the capabilities of AI systems and seek to safely deploy them to the world through our products. AI is an extremely powerful tool that must be created with safety and human needs at its core, and to achieve our mission, we must encompass and value the many different perspectives, voices, and experiences that form the full spectrum of humanity.
At OpenAI, we believe artificial intelligence has the potential to help people solve immense global challenges, and we want the upside of AI to be widely shared. Join us in shaping the future of technology.
Benefits and Perks
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
- Mental health and wellness support
- 401(k) plan with 4% matching
- Unlimited time off and 18+ company holidays per year
- Paid parental leave (20 weeks) and family-planning support
- Annual learning & development stipend ($1,500 per year)
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability or other legally protected statuses. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities, and requests can be made via email@example.com.