About the Team
Our customers build fast-growing businesses around our APIs, which power product features that were never before possible. We simultaneously ensure that our powerful tools are used responsibly. Safe deployment is more important to us than unfettered growth.
The Engineering team wraps a massive fleet of GPUs in scalable, robust, infrastructure powered by Kubernetes, Go, Python, Terraform, Redis, Kafka, Postgres, and Snowflake. Our APIs are powered by Python Flask and OpenAPI with a React frontend.
About the Role
We are looking for an engineer who wants to take the world's largest and most capable AI models and optimize them for use in a high-volume, low-latency, and high-availability production environment.
In this role, you will:
- Optimize our code and fleet of Azure VMs to utilize every FLOP and every GB of GPU RAM of our hardware.
- Build tooling to give us visibility into our bottlenecks and sources of instability and then architect and implement solutions to address the highest priority issues.
- Introduce new techniques, tools, or architectures that improve the performance, latency, throughput, and efficiency of our models.
- Work alongside machine learning researchers, engineers, and product managers to bring our latest technologies into production.
You might thrive in this role if you:
- Have at least 3 years of professional software engineering experience.
- Have an understanding of modern ML architectures and an intuition for where optimizations can be made.
- Have or can quickly gain familiarity with PyTorch, NVidia GPUs and the software stacks that optimize them (e.g. NCCL, CUDA), as well as HPC technologies such as InfiniBand, MPI, etc.
- Have experience architecting, observing, and debugging production distributed systems.
- Have a humble attitude, an eagerness to help your colleagues, and a desire to do whatever it takes to make the team succeed.
- Have needed to rebuild or substantially refactor production systems several times over due to rapidly increasing scale.
- Are self-directed and enjoy figuring out the most important problem to work on.
- Own problems end-to-end, and are willing to pick up whatever knowledge you're missing to get the job done.
- Build tools to accelerate your own workflows, but only when off-the-shelf solutions would not do.
OpenAI is an AI research and deployment company dedicated to ensuring that general-purpose artificial intelligence benefits all of humanity. We push the boundaries of the capabilities of AI systems and seek to safely deploy them to the world through our products. AI is an extremely powerful tool that must be created with safety and human needs at its core, and to achieve our mission, we must encompass and value the many different perspectives, voices, and experiences that form the full spectrum of humanity.
At OpenAI, we believe artificial intelligence has the potential to help people solve immense global challenges, and we want the upside of AI to be widely shared. Join us in shaping the future of technology.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
- Mental health and wellness support
- 401(k) plan with 4% matching
- Unlimited time off and 18+ company holidays per year
- Paid parental leave (20 weeks) and family-planning support
- Annual learning & development stipend ($1,500 per year)