About the Team
Large language models like GPT-3 have remarkable raw intelligence but aren’t usable as is, after being trained to imitate internet text. We work on fine-tuning these models using reinforcement learning (RL) to optimize meaningful objectives, such as providing informative and truthful answers to questions. Our recent projects include WebGPT and Grade School Math. We’re currently researching how to improve and scale up RL from human feedback, and how to enable our models to carry out multi-step reasoning.
The team’s activities include:
- Designing systems to collect data from crowdworkers / contractors
- Developing our infrastructure for large-scale RL training
- Devising and running experiments to compare algorithm variants and measure scaling behavior
About the Role
We are hiring people with various skill sets including software engineering and machine learning research/engineering. For the latter, RL experience is a strong plus but not strictly required. Formal credentials such as a PhD are not required. Exceptional past projects in AI, software, or the sciences will help your application stand out.
You might thrive in this role if you:
- Prefer to build something that’s truly useful, over just another conference publication
- Consider AI safety/alignment to be interesting and important
- Are not afraid of the human element of data collection
- Are excited about large-scale training
OpenAI is an AI research and deployment company dedicated to ensuring that general-purpose artificial intelligence benefits all of humanity. We push the boundaries of the capabilities of AI systems and seek to safely deploy them to the world through our products. AI is an extremely powerful tool that must be created with safety and human needs at its core, and to achieve our mission, we must encompass and value the many different perspectives, voices, and experiences that form the full spectrum of humanity.
At OpenAI, we believe artificial intelligence has the potential to help people solve immense global challenges, and we want the upside of AI to be widely shared. Join us in shaping the future of technology.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
- Mental health and wellness support
- 401(k) plan with 4% matching
- Unlimited time off and 18+ company holidays per year
- Paid parental leave (20 weeks) and family-planning support
- Annual learning & development stipend ($1,500 per year)