OpenAI is seeking a core (“full-stack”) software developer to help us build a suite of cutting-edge products, research tools, and infrastructure.
We are looking for a self-starter engineer who loves building and deploying production-tier systems in an iterative and agile environment. In this role, you will design, develop and maintain the tools & infrastructure required for a variety of research and consumer projects. A deep understanding of machine learning is not required, but a general interest is recommended, as you will be interfacing with many such technologies. We value the ability to swiftly obtain a deep technical understanding of new domains, and to self-direct and identify the most important problems to solve.
Other recommended knowledge includes Kubernetes, PostgreSQL, and API patterns, as well as an understanding of many of the aspects of web application development (security, reliability, scalability, maintainability, etc.).
We’re exploring many exciting new directions at OpenAI and would be thrilled for you to join our effort!
We’re looking for an engineer with:
- Experience designing, implementing and running production services
- Comfort managing and monitoring infrastructure deployments
- Willingness to debug problems across the stack, such as networking issues, performance problems, or memory leaks
- Ability to collaborate with a cross-functional team of engineers, researchers, designers, and operations
- Experience optimizing applications for speed and scale
- Proficiency with Python (ideally also with Flask)
It’d be great if you:
- Are self-directed and enjoy figuring out the most critical problem to work on
- Own problems end-to-end and are willing to acquire missing knowledge to get the job done
- Build tools to accelerate your workflows, but only when off-the-shelf solutions would not do
- Enjoy a fast-paced work environment with tight feedback loops
- Have 4+ years of relevant engineering experience at tech and product-driven company
- Have experience with relational databases like Postgres/MySQL
- Are interested in AI/ML (direct expertise not required)
- Health, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
- Unlimited time off (we encourage 4+ weeks per year)
- Parental leave
- Flexible work hours
- Lunch and dinner each day
- 401(k) plan with matching