OpenAI is an AI research and deployment company dedicated to ensuring that general-purpose artificial intelligence benefits all of humanity. AI is an extremely powerful tool that must be created with safety and human needs at its core. OpenAI is dedicated to putting that alignment of interests first — ahead of profit.
To achieve our mission, we must encompass and value the many different perspectives, voices, and experiences that form the full spectrum of humanity. Our investment in diversity, equity, and inclusion is ongoing, executed through a wide range of initiatives, and championed and supported by leadership.
At OpenAI, we believe artificial intelligence has the potential to help people solve immense global challenges, and we want the upside of AI to be widely shared. Join us in shaping the future of technology.
About the Team
The Applied AI Team is focused on bringing OpenAI’s technology to the world and building the definitive platform for AI technology. Last year, we introduced the OpenAI API to enable developers to leverage our leading technology with a simple API request.
GPT-3 was the first technology available via the API, allowing developers to integrate its ability to understand and generate natural language into their product. The MIT Technology Review listed GPT-3 as one of the 10 Breakthrough Technologies of 2021 (alongside mRNA vaccines!).
Recently, we introduced Codex, a new product that can translate natural language to code. Instagram’s co-founder called Github Copilot, an early product powered by Codex, “the single most mind-blowing application of ML I’ve ever seen.”
We’re also working to bring other research efforts into the API such as DALL-E, which generates images from text descriptions.
About the Role
Design plays a critical role here. To be successful, it’s crucial that we make our technology intuitive and accessible. We’re hiring a product designer to help us build products that are easy to use, beautiful, and push the boundaries of what’s possible. As our second product designer, you’ll have a huge part in shaping our product direction and design culture.
In this role, you will:
- Contribute to the overall design and product direction at OpenAI
- Define, design, and ship high-quality products and improvements
- Partner closely with engineering, product management, and design peers to define both long-term strategy and short-term tactics
- Create, collaborate, and iterate on flows, prototypes, and high-fidelity visuals
- Help define and evolve our design language and system
- Participate in user research and contribute to our shared understanding of our users
- Help establish our design culture and grow our team
You might thrive in this role if you have:
- Strong interaction and visual design skills
- A high bar for quality and craft
- Ability to help navigate ambiguity and set vision
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Curiosity and desire to learn
- Bonus: Technical background or experience designing products for developers or businesses
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
- Mental health and wellness support
- 401(k) plan with 4% matching
- Unlimited time off and 18+ company holidays per year
- Paid parental leave (20 weeks) and family-planning support
- Annual learning & development stipend ($1,500 per year)