OpenAI is an AI research and deployment company dedicated to ensuring that general-purpose artificial intelligence benefits all of humanity. AI is an extremely powerful tool that must be created with safety and human needs at its core. OpenAI is dedicated to putting that alignment of interests first — ahead of profit.
To achieve our mission, we must encompass and value the many different perspectives, voices, and experiences that form the full spectrum of humanity. Our investment in diversity, equity, and inclusion is ongoing, executed through a wide range of initiatives, and championed and supported by leadership.
At OpenAI, we believe artificial intelligence has the potential to help people solve immense global challenges, and we want the upside of AI to be widely shared. Join us in shaping the future of technology.
The Applied AI Research team works on innovative solutions to solve practical real-world problems with direct impact on users of the OpenAI API. Powerful language models like GPT-3 excel at learning behavior patterns from the pre-training or fine-tuning datasets. Thus the quality and scale of the datasets will play a crucial role in any applications built on top of such models. We seek a Machine Learning Engineer to help design and build the pipelines to collect and manage high-quality data for various projects within Applied AI.
Candidates for this role should have good engineering skills, industry experience in Machine Learning / Data Science, knowledge of processing a large amount of data in various formats and passion for building AI products.
In this role you will:
- Design data pipelines, including finding appropriate data sources, scraping, filtering, post-processing, de-duplicating, and versioning. The system should be robust and scalable for production use.
- Design and implement frameworks to evaluate the effectiveness of our models and data. For example, building an automated fine-tuning pipeline to compare the performances of different datasets or models on the same task.
- Work closely with others who might be data contributors or consumers or both to incorporate their data usage needs on a variety of tasks and domains.
- Work with our human labeling service to refine the procedure and guidelines to collect high-quality human annotation data.
- Conduct open-ended research to improve the quality of collected data, including but not limited to, semi-supervised learning, human-in-the-loop machine learning and fine-tuning with human feedback.
You might enjoy this role if you:
- Have 3+ years industry experience as a Data Engineer, Machine Learning Engineer, or Data Scientist, dealing with large amounts of data on a daily basis.
- Are goal-oriented, passionate about building cutting-edge AI products and solving real-world problems from our API developers.
- Have a strong belief in the criticality of high-quality data and are highly motivated to work with the associated challenges.
- Enjoy taking ownership while working with others to understand their needs.
- Care about code quality and enjoy building tools that can be used by many others.
- Have experience working in large distributed systems.
- Love working with a team.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
- Mental health and wellness support
- 401(k) plan with 4% matching
- Unlimited time off and 18+ company holidays per year
- Paid parental leave (20 weeks) and family-planning support
- Annual learning & development stipend ($1,500 per year)