Special Assistant to the founder and CEO
PAX sapiens is a grantmaking foundation hosted by One Earth Future. PAX sapiens uses direct grantmaking and coordination tools such as convenings, conferences, and information sharing systems to advance human security and sustainable peace. PAX sapiens has three primary issue areas we focus on, including strengthening global systems for pandemic prevention, preventing nuclear war and the use of nuclear weapons, and improving the effectiveness of global governance broadly and promoting better US-Chinese relationships in global fora specifically.
PAX sapiens is hosted by the operating foundation One Earth Future. For more than a decade, One Earth Future (OEF) has worked to solve complex problems at the root of armed conflict. Through its unique culture of iterative learning and improvement, OEF designs, tests, and partners to scale programs that help communities see problems in new ways and solve them collectively. With its headquarters in Colorado and offices around the world, OEF operates as a portfolio of peacebuilding programs, each with its own director, strategy, and budget. What holds them together is a common purpose: to provide an impartial platform for diverse stakeholders to form adaptive problem-solving networks for peace. At the foundation level, OEF provides the financial, strategic, and operational support needed to iteratively develop solutions to complex problems that could not have been designed in advance.
Primary Role: This position is a support role for the founder and CEO of PAX sapiens and One Earth Future. This role will work directly and closely with the founder and CEO to provide executive support across a number of issues and areas including maintaining his calendar, managing outreach and relationships with high-level partners, working with foundation staff to provide research and scoping memos on a variety of different topics, and maintaining institutional memory around key decisions and issues. This position is expected to help the founder identify and communicate his goals, and translate his ideas into viable positions and to communicate them externally. This position will be asked to help vet and develop key ideas and concepts into workable plans, with other foundation staff, and to advocate for the founder’s intent and goals within the organization.
The founder is the principal supporter for both PAX sapiens and One Earth Future, and will work across both foundations. This position is expected to support the founder and CEO throughout his working week, which regularly includes nights and weekend work.
Note: The Special Assistant role will be strictly focused on supporting the founder's work as a philanthropist and helping him pursue broad philanthropic goals. This role will not provide personal support.
Senior Strategic Advisor, One Earth Future
Salary; Exempt; Full-time
The hiring range for this position is $55,000-$70,000 per year.
This position is benefits eligible. Offered benefits include Medical, Vision, Dental, Life Insurance, Short and Long Term Disability, and a 401k.
This position is located at the One Earth Future Foundation central office in Broomfield, CO. The OEF office operates on a hybrid in-office/work from home model, and this position may have the option for some remote work. Regular work on nights and weekends is expected.
- Manage the founder/CEO’s daily schedule, including setting meetings and ensuring participants have provided an agenda and have relevant information.
- Maintaining the founder/CEO’s relationships with high-level stakeholders through managing outreach and engagement with targeted stakeholders.
- Manage flow of communication between organizations and amongst leadership
- Working with foundation staff to identify and execute outreach strategies on behalf of the founder/CEO.
- Maintaining confidential minutes of meetings.
- Work with foundation staff to conduct research and mappings of different issue areas or fields of potential interest to the foundations
- When directed, act as the founder/CEO’s representative in outreach to foundation staff.
- Engage occasionally in brainstorming or idea generation discussions.
- Some project management responsibilities, including working under direction to develop project plans for convenings or coordination meetings.
- Assist as requested in administrative and research tasks.
- Other duties as required.
Required Education, Knowledge, Skills and Competences:
- Either three years of experience in project management or a role that demonstrates capacity to independently design, manage, and execute outcome-focused work; or 3-5 years prior experience in executive support or management of another’s schedule.
- An entrepreneurial attitude and willingness to work independently and advance initiatives with little supervision
- Experience with international travel planning/scheduling
- Well-tuned EQ, especially with regard to the ability to proactively identify or anticipate executive needs and develop executive intent
- Interest in and some knowledge of international social impact work
- Excellent writing skills in English.
- Excellent time management skills, and the ability to effectively juggle multiple competing priorities
- Comfortable pivoting between tasks to address changing priorities & deadlines
- Comfort with flexible working environments and role ambiguity
- Experience with Google Suite and MS Office
- Experience managing Zoom/MS Teams platforms and familiarity with Android technologies
- Commitment to OEF’s vision, principles, and values (www.oneearthfuture.org)
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s level degree in a field relevant to the foundation’s work.
- Experience in international social impact through governmental, military, grantmaking, or nonprofit work.
- Fluency in a language other than English, especially Spanish, Somali, and/or Chinese (Mandarin)
- Basic graphic design skills
Physical Work Demands:
- Able to sit at a computer for extended periods of time.
- Able to bend at the waist and reach on a daily basis.
- Able to lift and move up to 25 lbs regularly.
At One Earth Future (OEF), we celebrate diversity and welcome its benefits and are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender identity, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability or veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.