ONN Senior Analyst
For more than a decade, One Earth Future has worked to solve complex problems at the root of armed conflict. Through its unique culture of iterative learning and improvement, OEF designs, tests, and partners to scale programs that help communities see problems in new ways and solve them collectively. With its headquarters in Colorado and offices around the world, OEF operates as a portfolio of peacebuilding programs, each with its own director, strategy, and budget. What holds them together is a common purpose: to provide an impartial platform for diverse stakeholders to form adaptive problem-solving networks for peace. At the foundation level, OEF provides the financial, strategic, and operational support needed to iteratively develop solutions to complex problems that could not have been designed in advance.
Today, more than ever before, nuclear weapons are at risk of being used due to human or technical error, miscommunication, misinterpretation and misinformation. The mission of Open Nuclear Network (ONN) is to reduce the risk of unintentional nuclear weapons use through innovation, inclusion and dialogue supported by open-source data. Our team of analysts produce operational insights using non-classified sources, leveraging publicly available data and technology, and deploying a network of trusted third parties for data-enabled efforts to improve dialogue and promote nuclear de-escalation.
For examples of Open Nuclear Network’s analytical work, see ONN’s publications.
The Senior Analyst is tasked with assisting the work of the Director and organizing group work within the analytical team. The Senior Analyst is responsible for the analysis of open-source information relevant to the nuclear conflict on the Korean Peninsula, including publicly and commercially available data, in the service of ONN’s mission. The Senior Analyst is also responsible for the drafting of reports drawing on the analyses carried out by her/him and the other members of the ONN analytical team. The Senior Analyst will have a strong grasp of the political context of nuclear issues related to the Korean Peninsula, including knowledge of the policy environment in the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea and its neighbouring countries. Over and above experience of specific data collection methods and tools, the Senior Analyst should have an innate understanding of data and how it can be collected, enriched and leveraged in the analytical process. The Senior Analyst must adhere to ethical open-source practices as defined by ONN. Strong research skills and the ability to rapidly analyse and integrate information to produce clear and relevant work products are required. Excellent oral and written command of English is necessary; knowledge of Korean is an asset.
S/he will work in a team that collects and analyzes disparate datasets such as satellite imagery and geospatial data, trade data, text data, social media, images and video. The working language of ONN is English, and all reports and presentations thereof will be produced in English. The Senior Analyst will be well organized, flexible and enjoy working in an office of diverse people in a diplomatic environment.
Director, Open Nuclear Network
€85.000,000 - €90.000,00
- Conducting open-source information analysis in relevant language(s);
- Developing and producing written analytical reports, data visualizations and in-person briefings in English;
- Attending and presenting at meetings and events, as needed;
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education, Knowledge, Skills and Competences:
- 7+ years of experience related to the Korean Peninsula in academia, journalism, government, military, IOs or NGOs;
- Demonstrable capability to collect, analyze, visualize and interact with all forms of data; expertise in satellite imagery analysis a plus;
- Advanced degree in international security, political science, journalism, or equivalent;
- Fluent in English; fluency in other relevant languages an asset, especially Korean;
- Excellent writing and communication skills;
- Commitment to ethical practices and moral conduct;
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team;
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously;
- Exceptional attention to detail;
- A demonstrable grasp of structured analytical techniques as well as problem solving skills;
- Ability to manage priorities, tasks, and relationships in a dynamic, culturally diverse environment;
- Ability to maintain regular and punctual attendance with the flexibility to accommodate demands outside of regular working hours such as breaking news or travel;
- Advanced knowledge of G Suite and MS Office products, project management software, databases;
- Commitment to OEF’s vision, principles, and values (www.oneearthfuture.org).
Physical Work Demands:
- Able to sit at a computer for extended periods of time;
- Able to bend at the waist and reach on a daily basis;
- Able to lift and move up to 25 pounds regularly;
- Able to travel internationally as needed.
At One Earth Future (OEF), we celebrate diversity and welcome its benefits and are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender identity, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability or veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.