For more than a decade, One Earth Future (OEF) has worked to solve complex problems at the root of armed conflict. Through its unique culture of iterative learning and improvement, OEF designs, tests, and partners to scale programs that help communities see problems in new ways and solve them collectively. With its headquarters in Colorado and offices around the world, OEF operates as a portfolio of peace-building programs, each with its own director, strategy, and budget. What holds them together is a common purpose: to provide an impartial platform for diverse stakeholders to form adaptive problem-solving networks for peace.
At the foundation level, OEF very much operates like a private sector organization with an emphasis on efficiency, growth and making tangible impacts within the conflict contexts in which it works. OEF provides the financial, strategic, and operational support needed to iteratively develop solutions to complex problems that could not have been designed in advance.
The Controller will be responsible for management of all finance, treasury, audit, budget and accounting functions. An important part of the position will be to work with program and department directors on funding, grant and contract management and annual budgeting. The company is based in Colorado and has offices in Colombia, Somalia, and Austria.
We are looking for a passionate, driven, hands-on individual to lead our accounting team. We are dedicated to creating a unique and engaging culture. If you’ve been waiting for the opportunity to showcase your talents in a diverse, dynamic environment to provide unparalleled service, then we encourage you to come work with us.
Full-time; Exempt; Salaried
Chief Financial Officer
The hiring range for this position is $150,000 - $180,000 annually.
This position is benefits eligible. Offered benefits include Medical, Vision, Dental, Life Insurance-, Short- and Long-Term Disability, and a 401k.
This position is located in Broomfield, Colorado and may have the option for some remote work.
This position will be responsible for developing and maintaining accounting principles, practices, internal controls and procedures to ensure accurate and timely financial reporting. The Controller will lead a team of accounting staff in the US and Colombia to ensure that work is properly allocated and completed in a timely and accurate manner. This position addresses tight deadlines and a multitude of accounting activities including general accounting, financial reporting, providing information for preparation of tax returns, and supporting budgeting and audit activities as well as reviewing new contracts for financial ramifications/implementation issues. Strong management, technology and accounting skills will be key in this role. The Controller will have contact with people at all levels of the company, which requires clear, organized and focused interpersonal communication skills, both written and verbal.
Specific Responsibilities & Duties:
- Understanding of GAAP (IFRS a plus) and how to apply guidance to a nonprofit.
- Manages the chart of accounts and project tracking in ERP.
- Develops, documents and trains on processes and procedures for multiple locations.
- Internal Control responsibility.
- Applying ASC606 and other revenue guidance.
- Understanding of TB consolidation processes and consolidating entries.
- Review of consolidated financial reporting incorporating all locations.
- Monthly, quarterly and annual financials to be provided to management and investors.
- Coordinate special projects, responds to inquiries from management in a timely manner.
- Review of grants and contracts to identify financial reporting requirements at the time of grant awards, set up grants in accounting system, track due dates, and submit reports on time in compliance with ASC606.
A. Oversee the coordination with programs to ensure financial information related to grants are accurate, timely, and responsive to grant guidelines.
B. Maintaining current systems or implementing systems needed to implement new agreements.
C. Training accounting and program staff on the elements necessary to track expenses to the budgets.
- Manage annual audit process for OEF, Fund and several grant contracts to completion without material changes or deficiency letters.
- Manage tax document preparation including oversight on expenditure responsibility forms.
- Prepare documentation for FBAR filings.
Management of team
- Responsible for hiring and managing accounting staff
- Establish quarterly goals and objectives for the accounting team and monitors performance to the goals. identify areas of improvement, and coaches & develops staff accountants, makes recommendations for promotions or replacement of staff.
- Responsible for ensuring new and existing team members are well trained.
- Monitors and analyzes work to develop more efficient procedures while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
- OEF is a fast-growing NGO and works in very challenging environments where excellent communication and problem-solving skills will be required. Ability to work well with management, peers, and staff in a constructive and effective way is very important. Must be able to bring an open mind and cooperative attitude to problem solving.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or a related field.
- 10+ years in an accounting senior management role.
- 5+ years non-profit experience in a leadership role.
- Experience working in an international/multi-cultural environment.
- Large ERP experience, Dynamics GP, Paycom, report writer software
- International Fund experience required.
- Financial Statement Consolidation experience.
- Foreign currency conversion experience.
- International grant management and financial reporting
- Possess sound judgment along with a high level of integrity, confidentiality, and dependability.
- Ability to work under pressure, with multiple priorities and meet the deadlines is required.
- Willingness to learn requirements in various countries.
- Review and implementation of internal controls, processes and procedures.
- Extended working hours required, especially during month end close and audits.
- Ability to determine and document policy and processes, and present at companywide meetings as needed.
- Understanding of GAAP (IFRS a plus), experience researching and implementing new pronouncements.
- Solid understanding of internal controls.
- Working knowledge of labor laws and payroll processing in the US.
- Positive attitude and high degree of business acumen.
- Highly proficient in Excel including ease in using vlookups, pivot tables, and nesting formulas.
- Tech savvy
- This job description in no way implies that these are the only duties to be performed. An employee will be required to follow any other job-related duties required by the manager.
- Spanish, Somali, or German speaker
- Software implementation experience
Physical Work Demands:
- Able to sit at a computer for extended periods of time.
- Able to bend at the waist and reach on a daily basis.
- Able to lift and move up to 25 lbs. regularly.
At One Earth Future (OEF), we celebrate difference and welcome its benefits. Therefore, we are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.