For more than a decade, One Earth Future (OEF) has worked to solve complex problems at the root of armed conflict. Through its unique culture of iterative learning and improvement, OEF designs, tests, and partners to scale programs that help communities see problems in new ways and solve them collectively. With its headquarters in Colorado and offices around the world, OEF operates as a portfolio of peace-building programs, each with its own director, strategy, and budget. What holds them together is a common purpose: to provide an impartial platform for diverse stakeholders to form adaptive problem-solving networks for peace.
At the foundation level, OEF very much operates like a private sector organization with an emphasis on efficiency, growth and making tangible impacts within the conflict contexts in which it works. OEF provides the financial, strategic, and operational support needed to iteratively develop solutions to complex problems that could not have been designed in advance.
The Communications Manager will be responsible for the implementation of strategies that strengthen One Earth Future’s brand and raise local and international visibility. S/He will conduct day-to-day work in the areas of planning, content creation for print and digital communications and publications, production, website user experience and performance management and project management, and media outreach and public relations. This person, in conjunction with the Director of External Affairs & Communications, will supervise the work of members of the Communications team, while working to deliver timely projects to the organization leadership and its diverse program teams.
Salaried; Exempt; Full-time
Director of External Affairs & Communications
The hiring range for this position is $80,000 - $100,000 annually.
This position is benefits eligible. Offered benefits include Medical, Vision, Dental, Life Insurance, Short and Long Term Disability, and a 401k.
This position is located at the One Earth Future Foundation central office in Broomfield, CO and may have the option for some remote work.
- Develop and implement integrated communication plans for One Earth Future Foundation and each program area, addressing various channels such as newsletters (print and electronic), social media, email, website content, print materials and media and public relations.
- Ensure the consistency of brand standards, messaging, mission, vision, and values with all audiences and communities.
- Co-manage the development of seamless messaging in content across multiple platforms, including print and digital (website, email blasts, and social media).
- Manage and coordinate marketing and promotion for organization events in partnership with other staff members, acting as a partner in developing holistic campaign strategies for various programs and their major works.
- Manage photography and videography needs for/of events, activities, and general awareness for use in publications and media, and ensure proper releases are signed and filed.
- Organize and maintain the organization’s graphics and photo files.
- Support the Director of External Affairs & Communications in the ongoing development and management of the department’s budget, and in the negotiation and management of contracts and agreements with outside contractors and vendors.
- Implement and oversee analytics to document and continuously improve the effectiveness of all executed marketing and communications.
- Other job related-duties and responsibilities as requested.
Required Skills and Competences:
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications, marketing, strategic design or a closely related field required. Equivalent combination of education and experience also considered.
- 5-7 years in the field of communications, marketing or design, preferably within the nonprofit sector.
- Strong background and experience with communication production, such as information design, graphic design and layout, web development and video and audio production techniques and strategies.
- Experience managing the work, outputs and outcomes of small teams and external talent for integrated communications strategies, on time and on budget.
- Advanced writing, storytelling and editing skills essential.
- Experience or interest in the fields of international development, political science, or related areas a plus.
- Evidence of experience developing and implementing successful strategic communication plans and strategies.
- Must be an excellent written and oral communicator. Strong writing, editing and proofreading skills.
- Experience pitching newsworthy stories in support of strategic goals and in developing strong relationships with traditional and new media journalists; using online communications tools to enhance and amplify an organization’s core messages; and providing creative communications support, editing support, and strategy to multiple internal project teams simultaneously.
- Detail-oriented and analytical nature, with the ability to measure and report impacts, balanced with the creativity to brainstorm story angles and design high visibility campaigns.
- A demonstrated ability to convert complex ideas and data into concise, well-crafted communications pieces.
- A high level of skill and comfort with technology, including experience with multiple computer and electronic communication software and platforms, such as Google Suite, MS Office, and Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Premiere, etc), Monday.com, Slack, Salesforce and Predictive Response (or other mass emailing softwares).
- Experience in innovating, overseeing and updating website experiences using Drupal, HTML, and CSS a strong plus.
- Experience designing, monitoring and evaluation tools for assessing the impact of communication services.
- Strong planning, organization and implementation skills with the ability to manage multiple projects and tasks.
- A self-starter with a proactive approach to assignments, one with the ability to work both independently and lead a team, solve problems with limited supervision, prioritize tasks, and meet deadlines.
- Able to sit at a computer for extended periods of time, bend at the waist and reach on a daily basis, and lift and move up to 25 lbs regularly.
- Commitment to OEF’s mission and vision (www.oneearthfuture.org)
Preferred Skills and Competences:
- Advance skills in information architecture and design.
- Advanced skills and passion around graphic design.
- Advanced experience in brand strategy and management.
- Experience with video and/or motion graphics creation and editing.
- Spanish, German, or Somali fluency.
At One Earth Future (OEF), we celebrate difference and welcome its benefits. Therefore, we are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.