Senior Communications Specialist
One Earth Future Foundation (OEF) is an incubator of innovative peacebuilding programs. We design, test and partner to scale programs that work hand-in-hand with communities to eliminate the root causes of war. Each of our programs works for sustainable solutions to address the drivers of a specific problem, while gathering and sharing lessons about cooperative governance more broadly. Whether we are supporting grassroots coalitions in Colombia, connecting Somali businesses to lenders abroad or working to reduce the risks posed by nuclear weapons, One Earth Future is consistently focused on our vision of sustainable peace. OEF maintains its headquarters in Colorado and has offices in Colombia, Somalia, Austria and Washington, DC.
The Senior Communications Specialist is responsible for driving strategic storytelling development and implementation, creating and disseminating engaging content that shares the work and core beliefs of One Earth Future and its global program teams. The position works to highlight stories that engage the organization’s target audiences around our core mission, vision, values and global programs for impact.
S/he will be expected to remain up-to-date with the latest news and developments pertaining to the Foundation, its Programs and the issues and events related to our global programming. S/he will also be fluent in digital technologies and social media trends and skillsets. As “Storyteller-In-Chief” for the organization, her/his goal is to coordinate timely on-strategy messaging from across the Foundation and multiple OEF Programs, increasing influencer and constituent awareness and understanding of OEF’s collective work and facilitating stakeholder engagement with our platforms for communication.
The Senior Communications Specialist is responsible for implementing communications strategies from planning through to execution under the direction of the Director of External Affairs and in collaboration with the Communications Manager, Communications Specialist/Designer, Website Manager and program team staff. S/he will manage an advertising/pr budget and will be measured in part on results, as well as manage an overall editorial calendar and several accounts (social media management tool, media engagement tool, performance analytics tool, and report on performance of OEF central platforms.
Reports To: Director of External Affairs
Collaborates Closely With: Communications Manager on day-to-day logistics, Communications Specialist (Designer), Web Manager, Program Teams
Job Type: Full-time; Exempt; Salaried
Compensation: The hiring range for this position is $50,000 - $66,500 annually. This position is benefits eligible. Offered benefits include Medical, Vision, Dental, Life Insurance, Short and Long Term Disability, and a 401k.
Location: This position is located at the OEF central office in Broomfield, CO and will be remote as necessary during the COVID pandemic.
The Senior Communications Specialist
- Works as part of OEF’s communications team to advance organizational objectives, goals, and mission, curating and managing daily communications flow, coordinating a forward-looking editorial calendar of appropriately staged messaging for the Foundation and its Programs across digital and traditional media platforms;
- Supports building and executing effective, creative, innovative, and integrated strategic communications strategies for delivery across digital platforms;
- Works in close collaboration with the Director of External Affairs, Communications Manager, Communications Design Specialist, Web Manager to curate and orchestrate timely delivery of strategic and meaningful content highlighting issues, projects, and events;
- Proactively driving and contributing to the development of strategic messaging that both supports individual Program communications goals and aligns with overall One Earth Future Foundation communications goals, OEF’s Senior Communications Specialist will place emphasis on carefully considered, quality communications delivered in a timely way to a global audience of thought leaders and decision makers;
- Manages social media outreach, including Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and other emerging vehicles on a daily basis to maintain a high-profile, strategic social media presence consistent with the OEF values and brand. ;
- Leads press/media outreach efforts; monitors external media relevant to OEF’s issues and brand, and develops outreach strategies to media outlets and their readership to promote awareness of and engagement with OEF experts;
- Acts as managing editor of OEF’s monthly e-newsletter and other electronic media communications strategies – ensuring unified design, engaging content, and coordinating editorial input from program teams;
- Works to engage and grow a digital community of relevant peer organizations, program and funding partners, and supporters;
- Works with OEF’s Impact, Learning and Accountability (ILA) department to mine stories of program impact appropriate for sharing with key audiences;
- Monitors and reports on web, email, and social media metrics and prepares metric updates;
- Supports execution and management of external OEF events, including webinars, livestream, and other digital events.
- Proactively updates and manages organizational and related listservs for newsletters and other direct/email communications.
Technical Education, Knowledge, Skills and Competences:
This role requires an advanced understanding of, high proficiency in, and enthusiasm for social media coordination and web content management and engagement for companies or non-profit organizations in an international and intercultural environment.
Required skills include:
- Advanced writing and editing skills, and exceptional oral and visual communication skills;
- Outstanding organization and people skills, project management and collaboration skills, and meticulous attention to detail and nuance required;
- Excellent storytelling skills are a must, including “news” reporting, writing, editing and proofreading, with attention to strategic emphasis and nuance targeted to a variety of global audiences;
- Ability and desire to coach colleagues on best practice communications strategies and practices while working hand-in-hand with them to achieve their goals;
- Ability to multitask and prioritize workload in a fast-paced environment;
- Experience and interest in the fields of international development, peace-building, political science, or related areas is important;
- Experience managing a diverse portfolio of news to a broad set of target audiences, and related content management systems;
- PR agency client communications services experience extremely helpful and a strong plus, and related/similar skill sets are required;
- Familiarity and confidence with media outreach and media relations management required;
- Proficiency with tools such as G Suite, Sprout Social, Predictive Response, Monday.com, MuckRackSlack, Salesforce and/or similar software and content management systems extremely helpful and a strong plus. Experience with Adobe Creative Suite tools a strong plus. Video editing experience and enthusiasm for video communications a strong plus.
- An undergraduate degree in Communications or a related field, with emphasis on journalism, news writing, public relations and digital communications and social media engagement. Graduate coursework in these areas and/or relevant issue areas a plus;
- 3-5 years of experience working in a strategic social media role in a dynamic, fast-paced multi-strand news environment. Non-profit experience a plus;
- Ability to maintain a flexible work schedule.
- Experience in updating websites using Drupal, HTML, and CSS a plus;
- Experience with image editing, cropping and resizing using Photoshop or similar software a plus;
- Advanced understanding of SEO and content marketing;
- English fluency required, Spanish and/or Somali language fluency a plus.
At One Earth Future (OEF), we celebrate diversity and welcome its benefits. Therefore, we are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
** Please note that applicants are required to submit a cover letter and resume. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.