OneDegree is a new generation of InsurTech that reimagining the industry with design and digital innovation. Our mission is to set new standards for insurance that puts customers first.
We are among the first batch of virtual insurers authorized by the Hong Kong Insurance Authority to provide insurance products purely through online channels. We pride ourselves on providing breakthrough innovations in products and services via our digital platform. We are currently offering Pet, Fire, Critical Illness and Home Insurance and expected to provide wider coverage to the general public in the coming year.
Want to join us and make a change? We are looking for a Lead Data Engineer to help us build the future of online insurance. You will be helping to take our data engineering to the next level and build a team around you. We love data technology and are looking for people who share our passion. We are committed to investing in people and tools. You must want to work in a fast-moving, agile environment and with cutting-edge technologies at scale. We are seeking people with a good understanding of today's technologies and data engineering practices who are seeking a position to realize their full potential. We are at a stage in our data engineering where it is ready to be taken to the next level. This is an exciting opportunity for someone who is interested in defining a data platform from the ground up.
What you will be doing:
- Own and develop a data engineering platform to serve our business.
- Be a key driver in making us the best data-driven insurance business in Asia.
- Managing a small team of Data Engineers.
- Mentoring and developing people. Working to get the best from your team.
- Providing technical leadership and expertise.
- Collaborating with our Marketing, Finance and other Business Teams to provide them the data they need.
- Collaborating with the Product Team to make our product the best it can be through data.
- Provide the platform the entire business uses for data reporting and analytics.
- Work with various data sources such Google Analytics, Relational Databases and NoSQL databases.
- Design a tagging strategy and data directory to collect the data the business needs.
- Designing and managing our data strategy end-to-end from data definitions to sources to ETL to platforms for data consumption.
- Automate data processing and data consumption tasks such as CRM programs for marketing.
- Designing and executing on the technical architecture of our data platform.
- Ensuring our data systems are scalable, highly available, reliable and cost effective.
- Implementing Data Engineering best practices to ensure speed and quality of delivery.
- Supervising and writing efficient and reliable code. Leading by example.
- Review data retention policy and keep maintenance of the data accordingly.
- Leading development of technical documentation
- Staying up to date with the latest data technologies and architecture. Researching new technologies which will help to drive our business
What we are looking for:
- 8+ years of data engineering experience with 3+ years of data platform architecture experience.
- Experience with modern data technologies such as data lakes, data pipelines, ETL platforms, data warehouses and data analysis tools.
- A deep understanding of today's data engineering technologies, system architecture and best practices.
- Experience leading technical teams.
- Strong expertise in data platform design and development
- Expertise in relational and NoSQL database systems. As well as 3rd party data sources such as Google Analytics.
- Someone who loves to learn, and is passionate about helping others.
- Excellent communications skills.
- Results-oriented, adaptable and comfortable dealing with ambiguity.
- Collaborative, team-oriented, and ready to mentor others.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Self-motivated, good interpersonal skills, good team spirit, and a responsible attitude.
*Candidate with more experience will be considered as Head of Data Engineering.
More about us:
- Fast-growing insurtech startup in Hong Kong
- Young and energetic team
- Flat organization structure
- Opportunities to grow and shine!
We value our employee - let’s check out what we offer
- 25 days annual leave
- Medical benefits
To us, people are our greatest asset and we are more than happy to invest in employees! We create a healthy work atmosphere and provide you with the tools and support for doing your job successfully. With a culture of flexibility and transparency, we believe there should be no barriers, and everyone’s contributions matter.
We would like to be an ‘EMPLOYER OF CHOICE’!