Who we are?
OnDeck is a leading technology-enabled small business lender which expanded into the Canadian market in 2015. We want to accelerate our growth in Canada by building awareness & increasing adoption of our disruptive online lending solution to Canada’s two million small businesses. Headquartered in NYC and listed on the NYSE, OnDeck has originated more than $10 billion ($USD) in loans across 700 industries. In December 2018, Evolocity and OnDeck announced an agreement to combine their Canadian operations to create a leading online platform serving small businesses in Canada; in April 2019, the transaction successfully closed, officially establishing OnDeck Canada as one of Canada’s largest online lenders to small business.
To support our growth, we are currently looking to hire an experienced lawyer to fill the position of Vice President, Legal, based in Montreal.
Why we need you?
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced lawyer to contribute to growth and success, by providing guidance on both strategic and day to day decisions based on strong commercial and legal analysis.
As a key member of our Senior Management Team, the Vice President, Legal will report directly to our Chief Operating Officer and work closely with our US based legal team to drive results.
- Provide legal advice and support across all departments on legal, regulatory, contractual and compliance matters
- Contribute to the development and execution of commercial decisions
- Build and maintain effective, constructive relationships with internal and external stakeholder groups
- Draft contracts, agreements, and other legal documents as needed
- Act as the local compliance officer, providing regulatory and compliance advice with company policies, regulatory policies and applicable laws
- Design and implement compliance framework, policies, procedures and other controls
- Provide support on governance matters, including board and committee minutes
- Coordinate with outside counsel while effectively managing work output and costs
- Support the Chief Operations Officer in maintaining the risk management infrastructure
- Manage the ongoing development and revision of our legal agreements and documents, including loan documentation across all products
Do you have what we’re looking for?
- BCL, LLB or JD, MBA is a plus
- Minimum of 7 years of combined relevant legal experience, in-house experience is a plus
- Corporate and/or finance law and transactional experience, experience in debt financing transactions is a plus
- Compliance or regulatory-related experience, preferably in financial services is a plus
- US public company regulatory experience is a plus
- You are self-assured and energetic with a dynamic personality and can inspire the confidence of the business team, senior management, departmental colleagues and other support groups
- You have excellent negotiation, drafting, analytical and communication skills
- You are extremely well-organized and have excellent attention to detail
- You effectively prioritize and manage multiple matters
Why you should work for us?
- Be part of an evolving organization
- Be part of a highly skilled team
- Work with people that love what they do
- Be part of a fun and modern company culture
- Work in our recently renovated downtown Montreal location (our amazing views can’t be beat!)
- Great employee perks (flexible working arrangements, social events, yoga, fitness corner, employee lounge, Dispatch coffee - just to name a few)