At OnDeck, we make small business a big deal. We’re improving the world’s economic landscape by changing the way small businesses access capital. We care intensely about each other, our company and the customers we serve, and are committed to making every day count.
The OnDeck Legal Team may be small in number relative to other groups at OnDeck but is massive in impact. The Legal Team provides sound and pragmatic legal and strategic advice to drive OnDeck’s mission as the first-choice lender to small business. A key role of the team is navigating issues proactively. The team is comprised of three divisions: Compliance, External Affairs and Legal and as such it works closely with all the OnDeck business teams as well as external stakeholders. We seek excellent team players who enjoy rolling up their sleeves and working closely with different business teams.
At OnDeck, you will:
- Be a key contributor in helping build a government relations program at a dynamic, fast expanding FinTech company
- Be a member of a collaborative team that shares a great sense of humor and a passion for promoting access to capital and helping small businesses succeed
- Have a respectable work-life balance
- Make a meaningful contribution to the company's future and share in the rewards accordingly
As Head of Government Relations, you will:
- Drive OnDeck’s government affairs strategy and play an integral role in advancing the company’s legislative and regulatory agenda at the federal and state levels
- Manage and ensure coordination of OnDeck’s state and federal lobbying teams
- Work closely with OnDeck’s internal and external stakeholders, providing policy leadership on issues impacting Financial Technology (“FinTech”) companies
- Identify critical champions and stakeholders on issues and manage engagement with those persons and entities.
- Advance OnDeck’s legislative and regulatory interests at the federal and state level on matters like privacy, technology, regulation of financial services, and consumer protection.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with federal and state legislators and their staff, Administration officials, agencies and other external entities.
- Write position papers, discussion guides, memos, reports and other materials.
- Establish rapport with industry stakeholders and trade groups to represent OnDeck’s policy interests.
- Participate in trade associations on OnDeck’s behalf and interact with executives at the company
- Follow and report on regulatory oversight hearings and related federal and state legislation. Track, analyze, report on and respond to certain agency requests, advanced notices and new proposals.
- Conduct detailed research into relevant policy issues and provide substantive, strategic policy analysis.
Qualifications for success:
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree or J.D. a plus.
- At least 6 years of experience in public policy, legislative affairs, lobbying and government affairs.
- Strong background on policy issues of significance to the financial services and technology industries.
- Relationships with Republican and Democratic members and staff of House Financial Services, Energy and Commerce, Senate Banking and Commerce Committees a plus.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills, including an enthusiasm for public speaking.
- Results-oriented self-starter with ability to distill complex issues into concise talking points, position papers and presentation decks.
- Team player who can work independently as well as cross-functionally with internal stakeholders, external partners, trade associations and others.
- Ability to work with minimal direct supervision, while knowing when to seek help or support. Must be skilled in driving projects to the finish line.
- A team player with a strong sense of humor, who thrives in a collaborative setting. Must operate with a high degree of professionalism, collaboration, discretion and judgment.
- Well-organized; strong attention to detail. Must be a strategic thinker who sees the “big picture.”
- Comfortable with travel, particularly to OnDeck’s office in New York and to state capitals.
- Note: This is not an entry-level position. You should bring substantial experience and qualifications.
As the largest online small business lender in the U.S. serving more than 700 different industries, we have been trusted by over 80,000 small businesses by providing them with a term loan or line of credit to help them build growing and thriving enterprises. Since 2007, we’ve issued over $10 billion in capital.
Join us as we enable small businesses to achieve their goals. At OnDeck, we’re reinventing small business financing. We care intensely about each other, our company and the customers we serve, and are committed to making every day count. We are small enough to be nimble and strong enough to make a big impact.
OnDeck believes that each and every team member plays an important role in our company’s success. That’s why we strive to provide you and your family with a competitive and comprehensive benefit program with a variety of options and opportunities. We offer:
- Generous Vacation
- Comprehensive Healthcare
- Educational Reimbursement
- 401k Matching
- Parental Leave
- Sports Teams
- Stocked Kitchens
- Loan Consolidation
We are going to ask you to talk about your accomplishments. Here are some of ours:
- WorldatWork, 2017 Seal of Distinction
- Fortune 50 Best Workplaces for Diversity, 2016
- Fortune 50 Best Small and Medium Companies to Work For, 2016
- Fortune 30 Best Workplaces in Finance and Insurance, 2016
- Built in Colorado, Top 100 Digital Companies in Colorado, 2015, 2016, 2017
- Crain’s New York Business Fast 50, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
- Fortune and Great Place to Work 100 Best Workplaces for Millennials, 2015
- Fortune/Great Place To Work Great Rated! People’s Picks: 20 Great Workplaces in Financial Services, 2015
- Crain’s New York Best Places to Work, 2013, 2014, 2015
- Colorado SHRM Best Companies to Work For in Colorado, 2015
- Forbes’ America’s Most Promising Companies, 2013, 2014
- Selling Power Magazine Best Company to Sell For, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
- 500|5000, 2013, 2014
As part of our dedication to maintaining an inclusive and diverse workforce, OnDeck provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OnDeck complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
OnDeck expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OnDeck’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
**No external recruiters or agents, please.**