About the Organization:
Omidyar Network is a philanthropic investment firm dedicated to harnessing the power of markets to create opportunity for people to improve their lives. Established in 2004 by eBay founder Pierre Omidyar and his wife Pam, the organization invests in and helps scale innovative organizations to catalyze economic and social change.
Omidyar Network has committed more than $1 billion to for-profit companies and nonprofit organizations that foster economic advancement and encourage individual participation across multiple initiatives, including Education, Emerging Tech, Financial Inclusion, Governance & Citizen Engagement, and Property Rights.
About the Investment Management Team:
Investment management serves an instrumental role within ON. The group is responsible for all investments and grants issued by the Company and to that end, has a unique perspective across our five investment sectors, current portfolio and prospective opportunities. The IM team leverages its deep investment and industry experience to provide active guidance to investment professionals. In parallel, the team is responsible for holding the firm accountable to achieve its impact and return targets through its role in Investment Committee decisions, portfolio monitoring and board governance feedback. In addition to its investment oversight and advisory roles, the IM team leads our experimental investment efforts. There are very few roles at an investment firm that provide such investment and analytical depth and breadth.
This position will be on ON’s Investment Management team and be based in Redwood City. Working integrally with our global investment team, the position has three broad responsibilities:
- Manage our investment process – which includes:
- Evaluating proposed investments
- Managing the investment decision-making process
- Supporting investment team members in deal execution, including negotiation, closing, and funding of approved investments o training the firm’s investment professionals
- Drive portfolio management – which includes:
- Managing the firm’s investment portfolio for social impact at scale
- Reporting on investment activity and portfolio performance
- Refining investment guidelines and best practices based on portfolio learning, activity and trends
- Guide portfolio company support and value-add, including emphasis towards exits
- Catalyze investment activity – which includes:
- Proactively sourcing prospective investments having high potential for impact, including experimental opportunities
- Executing select experimental investments, due diligence and analysis o managing investments for impact and financial returns
- 2 years of direct investing experience preferred (VC, private equity, investment banking); MBA preferred
- Passion for (and ideally prior demonstrated interest in) creating social impact; domain experience in social investing desirable
- Passion for partnering with entrepreneurs – for-profit and/or non-profit – in building organizations
- Strong strategic and analytical skills – ability to evaluate proposed investments from multiple perspectives (strategic fit, market opportunity, impact potential, operational capability, business model, financial performance, valuation, etc.) and an appreciation of analytical rigor and clarity
- Knowledge and experience in executing investments, including evaluating, analysis for decision making, negotiating, documenting, closing of transactions
- Strong ability for process management and multi-tasking across a large number of ongoing transactions, including acting as a facilitator to resolve different points of view
- Willingness to get involved in all aspects of a small team environment
- Sharp communication skills – ability to communicate succintly and clearly; excellence in writing and presenting
- Great interpersonal skills – ability to work collaboratively with colleagues around the world
- High level of comfort with ambiguity and working in a dynamic, rapidly evolving organization
Omidyar Network firmly believes that diversity and inclusion makes us more successful in our work, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law.