About Omidyar Network:
Established by philanthropists Pam and Pierre Omidyar, Omidyar Network is a social change venture that has committed more than $1 billion to innovative for-profit companies and nonprofit organizations since 2004. Omidyar Network works to reimagine critical systems and the ideas that govern them, and to build more inclusive and equitable societies in which individuals have the social, economic, and democratic power to thrive.
To learn more, visit www.omidyar.com and @omidyarnetwork on Twitter.
About the Strategic Communications team:
We are a dynamic group of professionals who are committed to using the power of communications and advocacy to advance our strategic goals. We work in close partnership with our program teams to build strategic communications into their strategies at the outset. At times, our team supports program leads on a given impact goal, while other times, we lead the work. We pursue policy levers, narrative and culture change, storytelling, thought leadership, earned, owned and paid media, and other creative channels to shift people’s attitudes and behaviors. We strive to increase our impact and contribute to the change we want to see in the world.
We are searching for a passionate, strategic, and dynamic Senior Communications Manager to join the team and lead Omidyar Network’s external positioning and brand management. In this role, you will drive understanding and awareness of Omidyar Network’s mission, vision, approach, and strategies with our external audiences.
While we are currently working remotely, the position will be based out of our Redwood City (CA) or Washington DC offices, or remotely from New York. Candidates must have a current U.S. work authorization to be considered.
How you’ll contribute to our impact:
- Develop and tailor communications strategies, tactics, and messaging that is universally understandable and resonant across a diverse set of constituencies, advances ON’s points of view, creates differentiation among Omidyar Network and its peers, inspires constituencies to action, and ties back to organizational goals
- Create alignment between the organization’s words and actions to make internal operations and external activities powerful forces that strengthen and extend the Omidyar Network brand and its initiatives; tell a clear story about who we are and what we do, keeping the big picture in focus
- Set and guide the strategy for all external brand communications including website and social media channels, that consistently articulate Omidyar Network’s mission
- Empower staff to engage externally, by providing them with materials, resources, and training to be effective communicators
- Implement individual executive visibility programs that build executive profiles with target audiences
- Lead communication coordinator and vendors to help implement activities and tactics
- Ensure consistent look, style, and feel for communications and educating staff on brand
What You’ll Bring to the Team:
- A minimum of 7-10 years in strategic communications with experience of multi-discipline communications function including strategy, public affairs, advocacy, messaging, public relations, brand image management, and public and/or government affairs, ideally in nonprofit, agency, or political/policy environments
- Significant experience developing and implementing communications strategies that advance an organization’s brand and positioning
- Understanding of public sectors, particularly within a political and policy context
- The right combination of collaboration and independence; a self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit who enjoys crafting and implementing new insights while deeply listening to others
- A proven track record as an implementer who grows with managing a variety of initiatives concurrently
- Relationship builder with flexibility and finesse who builds and maintains relationships for the long-term
- High energy, maturity, and leadership that serves as a unifying force to position communications discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels
- Exceptional writing, editing, and public speaking skills
- Ability to get up to speed quickly on complex topics, spot opportunities, and stay ahead of communication trends.
- Digital media capabilities and understanding of various platforms.
- Strong project management skills.
To apply, submit your resume and a cover letter (1-page maximum).
At Omidyar Network, diversity, equity, and inclusion are directly aligned with our fundamental belief that people are inherently capable, but they often lack opportunity. We know that a diverse workforce allows us to see problems in more nuanced ways, creating the thought leadership needed to have outsized positive returns on the world. We actively recruit, develop, and retain the most dedicated people from a diverse candidate pool. Omidyar Network is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes people from all experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply.