About Omidyar Network:
Omidyar Network is a market-oriented philanthropic investment firm. We support innovative start-ups and partner with organizations around the world in the service of driving individual empowerment.
Established in 2004 by eBay founder Pierre Omidyar and his wife Pam, our efforts today focus on a core set of the most pressing and difficult issues that have emerged in society. Our resources and people are dedicated to reimagining capitalism; promoting the beneficial use of technology; building bridges in a pluralistic world; and fostering individual capabilities. To date, Omidyar Network has committed more than $1 billion to for-profit companies and nonprofit organizations whose work is aligned with our mission.
About Omidyar Labs:
Omidyar Labs is our newly-announced innovation unit with a mandate to work with a broad range of levers – including foresight, influence tools, organizing, for-profit investing, real-world experiments, innovative partnering and convening, and actionable research – toward the goal of having distinctive impact across the themes noted above: capitalism, technology, pluralism and individual empowerment.
The role will primarily support our Reimagining Capitalism and Beneficial Tech work.
- Reimagining Capitalism seeks to accelerate progress toward an economy that best promotes healthy societies and true individual empowerment. While we believe that capitalism and markets remain the best option we know to deliver broad benefits to individuals and to society, without the right guardrails we too often see serious inequities and profound negative consequences. Our work aims to build more equitable economies by supporting high quality jobs, greater power and voice for workers, robust safety nets that create opportunity and dignity, and a new social contract suited to 21st century realities. Our initial focus for this theme is on the United States, though the longer-term goal is to take a more global view.
- Beneficial Tech is focused on ensuring that the fundamental drivers of responsible technological innovation are human well-being and respect for individual liberty. We are committed to interrogating and addressing the paradigms, rules and norms that drive the relationship between technology and society, and building resilience and capacity to address and manage the risks, unintended consequences, or unforeseen negative outcomes that new technologies may create. We believe this will complement and amplify the positive efforts we work on for technology to improve societal outcomes, such as enabling people to assert their identities online, claiming their land rights, and improving their educational outcomes.
This is an opportunity for an exceptional individual to support the “start-up” phase of a new innovation unit at the Omidyar Network, working across our Reimagining Capitalism and Beneficial Tech themes. You’ll work across a diverse set of responsibilities, including investment sourcing, diligence, and management (for-profit and non-profit); strategy; research; operations; learning; impact measurement; leadership and board communications; and more.
How you’ll contribute to our success:
- Insights: you’ll shape ideas, discover and assess opportunities, and conduct excellent data analysis and research to help us decide where to put our time and resources toward having impact. You’ll leverage the diversity of your education and life experiences to bring highly relevant perspectives to our work.
- Learning: you’ll work with the team to implement learning processes and experiments linked to our strategy, ensuring we measure and reflect on our progress, fail fast, and constantly course-correct. You’ll facilitate learning by tracking relevant news and conversations, shaping hypotheses to guide our work, and writing compelling memos based on rapid research and strong analytics.
- Relationships: core to our work is building our network with diverse and sometimes high profile external stakeholders. You’ll help us build systems and suggest efforts to make sure we’re building and maintaining the right relationships.
- Execution: you’ll help us execute on our mission across a range of tasks, including sourcing and managing grants, contracts, and investments through their full lifecycle; organizing convenings; conducting research and analysis (qualitative and quantitative); developing materials to communicate our strategy and progress internally and externally; and constantly problem solving to drive performance and overcome obstacles.
What you’ll bring to the team:
- At least two years of relevant work experience.
- Preference for candidates with experience in a range of the following areas: technology, political economy, US/emerging markets, investing and/or impact investing, entrepreneurship, consulting, journalism/media, research
- Education and expertise relevant to the role
- Passionate about the mission of the team
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong analytic skills
- Sense of humor and care about team culture and harmony
- High sense of personal responsibility and integrity
Please include a resume and, in lieu of a cover letter, answer one of the following prompts (on no more than one page). Upload your response where our online application says "Essay Question."
- What do you see as being the most pressing issues in how the economy operates today in the United States? What solutions do you think are most promising and why?
- What do you see as being the most pressing issues in the role technology plays in society today? What solutions do you think are most promising and why?
- There are issues that span both our Reimagining Capitalism and Beneficial Tech themes, such as the economic power of tech companies, or the emergence of data as a new commodity. Pick one such theme (which can be one of the options given here or your own) and describe the challenges posed and possible solutions.
At Omidyar Network, diversity, equity, and inclusion are directly aligned with our fundamental belief that people are inherently capable, but they often lack opportunity. We know that a diverse workforce allows us to see problems in more nuanced ways, creating the thought leadership needed to have outsized positive returns on the world. We actively recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. Omidyar Network is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes people from all experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply.