About Omidyar Network:
Omidyar Network is a market-oriented philanthropic investment firm. We support innovative start-ups and partner with organizations around the world in the service of driving individual empowerment.
Established in 2004 by eBay founder Pierre Omidyar and his wife Pam, our efforts today focus on a core set of the most pressing and difficult issues that have emerged in society. Our resources and people are dedicated to reimagining capitalism; promoting the beneficial use of technology; building bridges in a pluralistic world; and fostering individual capabilities. To date, Omidyar Network (ON) has committed more than $1 billion to for-profit companies and nonprofit organizations whose work is aligned with our mission. ON has recently reset its strategy and approach, attuned to the demands and realities of our current times. Our goal is to not only make markets and technology work for all, but to deliberately experiment with our programmatic approach in search of the cutting edge of philanthropy.
With a renewed focus and vision for the future, Omidyar Network is seeking a Chief Advocacy and Strategic Communications Officer who will lead communications and advocacy to help drive the firm’s strategy and define the new frontier of cutting-edge philanthropy. Not a traditional marketer or a conventional communications leader, this person’s diverse background and experiences will inform and inspire a unique and culturally grounded approach. They will push the organization into new areas, identify previously unengaged audiences, and leverage emerging trends in politics, business, culture, and beyond to develop campaigns and narratives that drive social impact and change.
Ambitious and strategic, this person will bring a positive mindset, and highly leveraged approach to Omidyar Networks programs and partners. They will be responsible for building a multi-disciplinary and high-performing team, that will provide oversight on a wide range of responsibilities and projects, including rapid response, social media, long-term movement building, and fashioning or changing cultural narratives.
With a keen understanding of the social impact landscape, and its audience, the Chief Advocacy and Strategic Communications Officer will bring cultural insights, narrative skills, and systems thinking, and will develop bold ideas, opportunities, campaigns, and programs. This person will be curious and entrepreneurial in spirit and develop a deep understanding of Omidyar Network’s critical focus areas, their overlapping synergies, and the context of where they live.
A collaborative expert with a deep curiosity and understanding across the narrative landscape, they will partner with the global initiative teams, the newly formed Omidyar Labs, and other key stakeholders to develop strong, forward-looking points of view, drive systemic change, and develop a firm-wide perspective on how to best deploy and prioritize resources.
A true leader of people, this person will passionate about their team, hiring, overseeing and mentoring a starting group of five, understanding their key strengths and unique areas of contribution, and inspiring the best from them. The Chief Advocacy and Strategic Communications Officer will provide guidance and mentorship to an array of strategists, thinkers, and doers from the worlds of advocacy, marketing, advertising, communications, storytelling, film, public relations, media, the visual arts, anthropology, digital development, and more.
As a key member of five-person C-Suite management team, the Chief Advocacy and Strategic Communications Officer will work with, and report into, the Managing Partner, Mike Kubzansky, and partner seamlessly with key leaders across in the firm to advise and help structure their POVs and other engagements in the world of influence.
- Partner with the leadership team and program leads to design and manage programs that activate initiative strategies and points of view across a variety of platforms and communications touch points, including paid and earned media across print, electronic, digital and social media, and owned media such as websites and publications; sponsorships and speaking opportunities; and Omidyar Network owned events and convenings
- Drive understanding and awareness of Omidyar Network through messaging that is universally understandable and resonates across a diverse set of constituencies, including: media, for-profit investors, entrepreneurs, foundations, nonprofits, policy makers, think tanks, interest groups, and staff
- Tailor messaging by constituency to advance Omidyar Network’s points of view, create differentiation among Omidyar Network and its peers, and drive constituencies to action
- Work with the leadership team to identify culturally relevant causes and initiatives that are aligned with Omidyar Network’s areas of focus, vision, and purpose, and develop innovative campaigns and narratives to engage and rally audiences around them
- Work with the leadership to define, set the direction and tone for, and grow, the Omidyar Network brand
- Develop audience identification and segmentation tactics that yield rich insights and perspectives to inform innovative campaigns and partnerships, ultimately build high degrees of engagement
- Build a multi-disciplinary and high performing team capable of developing innovative persuasion and opinion-shaping campaigns
- Drive alignment between the organization’s words and actions, working with senior management to make internal operations and external activities powerful forces for strengthening and extending the Omidyar Network brand and its initiatives
- Develop and execute executive visibility programs that build executive profiles and create demand for their participation in industry projects, media interviews, and at events
- Develop bold ideas, opportunities, campaigns, and programs to bring about significant and enduring social change
- Work with investees to advance their causes within the broader context of Omidyar Network’s initiative sector goals
- Experiment with and deploy new tools and ways of exerting influence, looking well beyond the traditional investing tactics that are the heritage of the organization
- An entrepreneurial and collaborative leader, who has the ability to guide the team across divisions and gain their respect and council, effectively bringing teams to consensus and rallying them around shared goals
- Embraces new ideas and experimentation; naturally curious, this person is energized—rather than intimated by—ambiguity and not afraid to fail
- Prolific thinker who brings multiple ideas and approaches; delivers elegant and simple solutions to complex issues
- Possesses a global sensibility vs. an exclusively US-centric point of view
- Possesses a solid understanding of, and visibility into, different industries and disciplines; takes a well-rounded vs. siloed approach to business
- Highly developed business acumen with solid commercial, strategic, and analytical skills
- An insatiable curiosity and desire to learn, combined with the confidence and humility to admit what they don’t know
- A consummate relationship builder and partner who can seamlessly manage multiple voices, opinions and personalities to create an atmosphere of camaraderie and collaboration
- Tenacious and relentless, never backs down from a challenge; a superb problem solver who looks for the unexpected answer
- An inspirational leader who people love to work with and for; can develop, retain, and attract talent at all levels and across disciplines
- Diplomatic leader who knows how to manage and influence, and can balance a strong POV with a soft touch
- A natural networker and bridge-builder who is agile enough to keep pace with the evolution of the business and the demands of growth
At Omidyar Network, diversity, equity, and inclusion are directly aligned with our fundamental belief that people are inherently capable, but they often lack opportunity. We know that a diverse workforce allows us to see problems in more nuanced ways, creating the thought leadership needed to have outsized positive returns on the world. We actively recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. Omidyar Network is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes people from all experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply.