About Omidyar Network:
Omidyar Network is a philanthropic investment firm dedicated to harnessing the power of markets to create opportunity for people to improve their lives. Established in 2004 by eBay founder Pierre Omidyar and his wife Pam, the organization invests in and helps scale innovative organizations to catalyze economic and social change.
Omidyar Network has committed more than $1 billion to for-profit companies and nonprofit organizations that foster economic advancement and encourage individual participation across multiple initiatives, including Digital Identity, Education, Emerging Tech, Financial Inclusion, Governance & Citizen Engagement, Impact Investing, Property Rights and Tech and Society Solutions Lab.
The primary responsibility for this position is to provide legal support for Omidyar Network’s venture and impact investments across various initiatives. Investments are made on a global basis, and range from seed investments to growth stage. This position may also be asked to support other legal duties related to Omidyar Network’s operations. This position will report to the Senior Corporate Counsel as a full-time, limited term (1 year) position in the Legal Department, and will be located in Redwood City, California.
- Work closely with investment team and legal department on investment structuring, deal negotiation, diligence and document review
- Consult and manage outside counsel for legal due diligence and documentation
- Provide feedback to Omidyar Network investment committee as requested
- Prepare and update standard investment documentation
- Provide training on investment terms and structuring, conflicts of interest and other topics as appropriate
- Provide support as requested with compliance and governance issues
- Review and negotiate other contracts and legal documents as needed
- J.D. degree, and license to practice law
- 3 to 5 years of legal experience, with significant time advising on venture capital or similar investments, preferably in emerging markets
- Solid legal reasoning and analytic skills
- Demonstrated ability and desire to work on collaborative teams
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to present legal concerns to a non-legal audience
- Autonomous self-starter with the ability to exercise independent judgment and focus on effective resolution of legal issues
- Strong document management and organization
- Flexibility and adaptability commensurate with working in a fast-paced environment
The above reflects the essential functions for this position, but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned to this position at any time.
Omidyar Network firmly believes that diversity and inclusion makes us more successful in our work, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law.