About Omidyar Network:
Omidyar Network is a philanthropic investment firm dedicated to harnessing the power of markets to create opportunity for people to improve their lives. Established in 2004 by eBay founder Pierre Omidyar and his wife Pam, the organization invests in and helps scale innovative organizations to catalyze economic and social change.
Omidyar Network has committed more than $1 billion to for-profit companies and nonprofit organizations that foster economic advancement and encourage individual participation across multiple initiatives, including Digital Identity, Education, Emerging Tech, Financial Inclusion, Governance & Citizen Engagement, Impact Investing, Property Rights and Tech and Society Solutions Lab.
The primary responsibility for this position is to provide legal support for domestic and international grants made by Omidyar Network’s 501(c)(3) private foundation. This position will assist with tax and regulatory compliance issues applicable to the foundation, and will also support other legal duties related to Omidyar Network’s operations. This full-time position will report to the Senior Corporate Counsel in the Legal Department, and will be based in Washington, DC.
- Work closely with the investment team, and the grants management function within the legal department, on grant structuring, due diligence, IRS compliance, agreement review and negotiation
- Monitor general compliance with tax laws and regulations applicable to 501(c)(3) private foundations and advise the legal department on updates
- Conduct research on areas that affect the foundation’s activities, such as expenditure responsibility, equivalency determination, and fiscal sponsorship, and prepare written analyses as needed
- Consult outside counsel on complex nonprofit legal issues
- Assist finance team with preparation and review of private foundation tax return
- Maintain standard grant templates and update as needed
- Revise and develop training and reference materials for the investment team and Omidyar Network’s grantees, and participate in regular trainings for the investment team and other departments as appropriate
- Provide support on other legal department projects and duties as assigned
- J.D. degree, and license to practice law in the applicable jurisdiction
- 3 to 5 years of legal experience, with significant time advising on issues related to US nonprofit/foundation tax law (preferably in a grant-making capacity)
- Solid legal reasoning and analytic skills
- Demonstrated ability and desire to work on collaborative teams
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to present legal concerns to a non-legal audience
- Autonomous self-starter with the ability to exercise independent judgment and focus on effective resolution of legal issues
- Strong document management and organization • Flexibility and adaptability commensurate with working in a fast-paced environment
The above reflects the essential functions for this position, but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned to this position at any time.
Omidyar Network firmly believes that diversity and inclusion makes us more successful in our work, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law.