Duration: 6 - 9 months
About Omidyar Network:
Omidyar Network is a philanthropic investment firm dedicated to harnessing the power of markets to create opportunity for people to improve their lives. Established in 2004 by eBay founder Pierre Omidyar and his wife Pam, the organization invests in and helps scale innovative organizations to catalyze economic and social change.
Omidyar Network has committed more than $1 billion to for-profit companies and nonprofit organizations that foster economic advancement and encourage individual participation across multiple initiatives, including Education, Emerging Tech, Financial Inclusion, Governance & Citizen Engagement, and Property Rights.
About the Intellectual Capital Team:
The Intellectual Capital function is dedicated to supporting strategic decision-making, cutting edge research, and continuous learning. In that capacity, Intellectual Capital works directly with the initiative teams as well as on cross-cutting topics and new frontier areas for the firm to explore. We are a tightly-knit team that values intellectual rigor, diverse perspectives, and a sense of humor. Our global team consists of ~15 people across four offices.
The Learning and Impact team is a part the Intellectual capital team and focuses on establishing the key processes (strategy, theory of change development, impact frameworks, measurement, evaluation, systematic reflection etc.) as well as nurturing the right culture (openness, trust, curiosity, etc.) needed to foster a vibrant learning organization committed to social impact.
ON is seeking a passionate and entrepreneurial individual who can help us to become a best in class learning organization, while working across a range of projects ranging from evaluations to strengthening ON’s insights, efficacy and learning capacity.
- Research & Analysis: Assist the intellectual capital team’s leadership with priority projects in ON’s focus areas. Examples include:
- Qualitative and quantitative research and high-rigor analysis on high-priority strategic and investment issues
- Research design and vendor management – consultants, academics, consumer survey research firms, etc.
- Research using new big data, rapid survey, and crowdsourced tools on current and emerging trends in emerging markets and key ON areas of interest
- Learning and Impact Frameworks, Systems & Process: Assist team in further developing, documenting and strengthening learning and impact systems and process at the firm, initiative and investee-level. For example:
- Support the development of a practice of regular and systematic reflection on their impact (e.g. strengthening the portfolio impact reviews)
- Develop guidance on establishing and strengthening approaches to learning and measuring and reporting on impact for ON initiatives and investees
- Support the use of constituent feedback into strategy and practice so as to better understand the consumers of investees
- Intellectual Capital Function Strategy Support & Thought Partnership: Assist team in shaping the forward-looking agenda and strategy for the learning and impact work of the intellectual capital function.
- A deep passion for Omidyar Network’s mission and approach to social change, and preferably some professional exposure to our focus areas
- A minimum of 5 years of work experience with the following credentials:
- Excellent research, evaluation and analysis skills
- Ability to switch between strategic and practical thinking, with top-class project
- Experience working on the ground in middle income and/or developing countries
(India, SSA LAC, etc.) preferred
- Clear written and oral communication skills required: must be a concise and
experienced prose writer
- Fluency in various formats (e.g. Powerpoint, Excel, Word, Prezi)
- High tolerance for ambiguity, ability to work with limited day-to-day guidance
- Experience with a top tier consultancy or preferred.
- Strong academic credentials
- Authorization to work in US
Position will be based in Redwood City, CA. It will be housed in the Intellectual Capital unit and will report to a Senior Manager.
Interested applicants should apply through this link: https://boards.greenhouse.io/omidyarnetwork/jobs/1171799
Applicants will need to upload a cover letter and resume. For questions, contact Jessica Kiessel at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Omidyar Network firmly believes that diversity and inclusion makes us more successful in our work, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law.