About Omidyar Network:
Omidyar Network is a philanthropic investment firm dedicated to harnessing the power of markets to create opportunity for people to improve their lives. Established in 2004 by eBay founder Pierre Omidyar and his wife Pam, the organization invests in and helps scale innovative organizations to catalyze economic and social change.
Omidyar Network has committed more than $1 billion to for-profit companies and nonprofit organizations that foster economic advancement and encourage individual participation across multiple initiatives, including Education, Emerging Tech, Financial Inclusion, Governance & Citizen Engagement, and Property Rights.
About the Property Rights Team:
Omidyar Network’s Property Rights Initiative works to deploy transformative change to enable people to have more secure rights to businesses, homes and property. Our sector-based approach concentrates on innovation, prop tech, incubators, geospatial technology and independent media. Based in the U.S. and India, the Property Rights team works collaboratively to address key property rights challenges through a combination of for-profit and non-profit investments in innovative organizations. We seek investments that have the potential to be highly disruptive and we fund cutting edge research to fill knowledge gaps and inform decision-making. We believe that the private sector has a meaningful role to play in developing solutions that support widespread economic development, and seek investments that bridge the gap between communities, civil society, and business interests. More at: https://www.omidyar.com/our-work/property-rights.
Based in Washington, DC, this position falls within ON’s Property Rights initiative and reports to the Venture Partner, Property Rights. The Property Rights Investment Analyst will contribute to a wide range of tasks related to portfolio management, scoping new investments, commissioning and analyzing research particularly around the use of technology/geospatial applications, and sharing results of innovative work through writing, social media and convenings.
- Support scoping, due diligence, and deal execution for new investments focused on technology and innovative financing;
- Review and analyze business plans and financial models for investments in the US and emerging markets;
- Work closely with investees on strategic aspects to help them scale successfully, achieve their financial targets and impact potential;
- Assist in monitoring performance of investees;
- Prepare financial reports;
- Contribute to periodic reviews of the initiative’s strategy;
- Conduct market research and keep current with industry technology trends;
- Help develop strategic sector relationships to identify potential areas of collaboration and to help build a pipeline of potential investment leads;
- Write and/or commission papers, case studies, blog posts, and articles on property rights, technology, innovative financing, and other timely topics;
- Collaborate internally to advance ON strategy and mission and support leadership of the Property Rights initiative on a variety of projects and analysis, as necessary
- Deep passion for Omidyar Network’s mission, initiative areas, and cross-cutting themes (e.g., impact investing, entrepreneurship);
- Intellectual curiosity about working in the property rights/geospatial sector;
- MBA plus 2-4 years of experience at management consulting firm, investment bank, technology firm, accelerator, incubator or other corporate setting conducting company evaluations and financial analysis;
- Ability to evaluate proposed opportunities from multiple perspectives (strategic fit, expected impact, market opportunity, operational capability, business model, financial performance, valuation, etc.);
- Sound knowledge of investment execution (sourcing, analyzing, teeing up for decision-making, negotiating, documenting, closing, etc.);
- Exceptional analytical skills, first rate excel modeling and deal evaluation skills;
- Strong strategic and critical thinking and excellent written and verbal communication skills, resourcefulness, sound judgment, and ability to work in a fast-paced, challenging environment with employees around the globe;
- Excellent and clear written and oral communication skills required;
- High degree of flexibility and adaptability including ability to work both independently and as part of a global team;
- Creative and independent self-starter, entrepreneurial spirit, and strong team player.
Omidyar Network firmly believes that diversity and inclusion makes us more successful in our work, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law.