Start Date: May/June 2018
Length: 9 weeks
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
Omidyar Network is a philanthropic investment firm dedicated to harnessing the power of markets to create opportunity for people to improve their lives. Established in 2004 by eBay founder Pierre Omidyar and his wife Pam, the organization invests in and helps scale innovative organizations to catalyze economic and social change. Omidyar Network has committed more than $1 billion to for-profit companies and nonprofit organizations that foster economic advancement and encourage individual participation across multiple initiatives, including Education, Emerging Tech, Financial Inclusion, Governance & Citizen Engagement, and Property Rights.
Omidyar Network is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law. We firmly believe that diversity and inclusion makes us more successful in our work, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.
ABOUT THE TEAM
The global Financial Inclusion initiative works to accelerate access and usage of financial services for mass market households and small enterprises, through disruptive use of technology and innovative business models.
We work with innovative and technology-driven startup companies and on a range of research and policy-initiatives.
Our portfolio includes companies working across several geographies and sub-sectors. Recent activity includes investments in companies such Flutterwave, Lidya, Pula and policy or research grants to industry-building institutions such as Alliance for Financial Inclusion, the Better Than Cash Alliance, or the GSMA’s Mobile Money Unit.
We also strive for thought-leadership with publications such “Big Data, Small Credit” on alternative data-underwritten, short-term credit.
We are seeking a summer intern to join our Financial Inclusion Global Frontiers team which focuses on radically innovative investments in emerging markets outside India and US. The summer intern will support activities focused on Africa and will be primarily responsible for:
- Supporting pipeline development
- Performing sector/market research
- Performing competitive analysis
- Supporting deal sourcing (including assessing business plans etc)
- Supporting deal execution
- Conducting company evaluation and financial analysis
- Providing general analytic support
- Due diligence support
The position offers potential for significant exposure to our pipeline development and deal execution processes and calls for a correspondingly high level of passion, interest in the region and entrepreneurial energy.
- 1-3 years of business experience conducting company evaluation and financial analysis, ideally at a top-tier private equity firm, investment bank, management consultancy or in an operational role in a financial services firm
- Currently undertaking or completed a post-graduate study in a field of study with an analytical or technical focus
- Experience working in or with companies in: financial services, payments and online financial services; fintech is desirable, not necessary.
- Strong analytic, strategic thinking and project management skills
- Strong communication and writing skills
- Comfort with working in a highly collaborative environment
- Prior demonstrated interest in / experience with social entrepreneurship and creating positive social impact is desirable