We are on the lookout for a Backend Engineer who wants to grow a career at OLX Group - one of the world’s fastest-growing networks of trading platforms, including brands like OLX, Avito, Letgo, among others.
One of the options is joining our User Comms team, which is responsible for developing the platform-to-user communication system.
Meet the team
The User Comms team was formed in the Berlin OLX office in mid 2017. Initially assigned a global scope while working closely with emerging markets, it went through a big shift in focus about two years ago, having since focused on our 5 European and 2 Central Asian markets.
At present it consists of 3 Backend Engineers, a Frontend Engineer, an Engineering Manager and a Product Manager - all fully dedicated to the team. Additionally, we rely on the help of a Product Analyst and an SRE.
We've been working remotely 100% of the time since March 2020 and we plan to stay remote-first after the pandemic.
This is a highly technical team handling three key types of communications: the ones triggered programmatically between the core platform and our customers (what we call "transactional" messaging), the ones triggered by our marketing team, and an in-between kind that we like to call "marketing automation".
One key value here is privacy by design: we make sure that teams and colleagues using our systems never have to figure out or transfer private information about our customers. We also ensure that communications are never sent to users that have opted out. Making it easy for teams to handle GDPR-compliant communications is the beauty of working in this domain, but also what makes it quite challenging to get right and to scale.
When it comes to day to day work, here's what you'll find:
- All systems running on AWS
- A mix between active development of new solutions (Kotlin and Java running on EKS) and decoupling from legacy
- Strong observability culture
- Massive scale handling all internal communication for OLX inside 5 markets in Europe and 2 in Central Asia
- Lots of automation (GitLab pipelines)
- Engineers working on infrastructure-as-code alongside SREs
- Sane approach to short and long term planning
- Healthy work/life balance
Who we’re looking for
As a Backend Engineer, you:
- You are curious about user communication optimization, and have a growth mindset;
- You have experience with either Kotlin, Java or Scala;
- You have expertise working with distributed and scalable solutions;
- You have experience in testing automation (unit testing, end-to-end testing);
- You are driven by testing out innovative ideas, taking a pragmatic view on the technology to use, to test and build them;
- You are eager to work proactively with the team on improving the overall way of working;
- You communicate effectively in English.
These are "nice to have" traits:
- Have experience in AWS, technologies like SNS, SQS, Kinesis, S3, etc.
- Have basic knowledge in building CI/CD pipelines
- Have basic knowledge in Spring Boot, Kubernetes, Terraform;
- Have basic knowledge in observability platforms such as NewRelic, Prometheus/Grafana.
What we’ll give you:
- A salary of 12 000 - 17 000 PLN (monthly, gross) + annual bonus up to 15%
- A diverse international team of passionate and talented engineers that work together to take each other to the next level
- A positive, get-things-done workplace
- A dynamic, constantly evolving space
- An inclusive environment that ensures we listen to a diverse range of voices when making decisions
- Ability to learn cutting edge concepts and innovation in an agile start-up environment with a global scale
- A flexible working environment where you can drive your outcomes
- Company mobile phone, laptop and other tools you might need
- Open selection of training e-courses including MyAcademy, Udemy and specialist AWS trainings
What do you need to know about us:
OLX is part of OLX Group. OLX Group is one of the world’s fastest-growing networks of trading platforms, serving 300 million people every month and operating in 30+ countries across 5 continents. We shape the future of trade to unlock the hidden value in everything. We help people buy and sell cars, find housing, get jobs, buy and sell household goods, and much more. With more than 20 well-loved local brands including Avito, OLX, Otomoto, and Property24, our solutions are built to be safe, smart, and convenient for our customers. We are powered by a diverse workforce of 10,000+ talented individuals, together building an inclusive culture around the world. We have the strong financial and operational backing of Prosus, one of the largest consumer internet groups in the world.
We are turning Diversity & Inclusion into our superpower and competitive advantage. We encourage people of all races, ethnicities, disabilities, ages, gender identity or expression, backgrounds and experiences to consider applying for this role.