Who We Are:
Okcoin is one of the world’s largest and fastest-growing cryptocurrency exchanges in the world. We help millions of people buy and sell Bitcoin, Ethereum, and over 80 other crypto assets every day — but our work is a whole lot more than that. We’re building an inclusive future of finance, one that opens new opportunities to learn financial literacy, store value, and build wealth for everyone.
Ready to help the next billion people experience the future of finance with us? Come on board. We have offices in San Francisco, Malta, Hong Kong, Singapore and Japan.
About the Team:
The U.S. Legal team provides legal advice and guidance to the company across all coverage areas and geographic locations, and supports business growth and development by working with all teams within the company to help them achieve their goals. Okcoin has customers worldwide and offices in the United States, Europe and Asia.
About the Opportunity:
This is an essential role at one of the fastest-growing cryptocurrency exchanges in the world. As an Associate General Counsel you will work closely with all members of the U.S. Legal team and business leaders throughout the company. You will be working from either our San Francisco or San Jose office three days a week. You may work remotely two days a week.
The right candidate will have a basic understanding of and enthusiastic belief in the cryptocurrency/digital asset space, 5+ years of experience working for a top law firm or in-house at a fast-paced, brand-name business, and possess strong academic credentials and excellent writing and analytical skills. The ideal candidate should also possess experience working on matters pertaining to financial services, cryptocurrency/digital assets, and/or touching upon financial services and securities laws and regulations.
We offer a competitive base salary and bonus structure as well as excellent benefits and an opportunity to work in a cutting-edge industry that will be the future of financial services.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Support the business in virtually all legal coverage areas, including but not limited to product development, HR/employment, corporate governance, contract negotiation, litigation and regulatory matters, compliance legal support, institutional sales and partnerships and marketing/advertising
- Analyze and advise on the legal risk of new and existing digital assets and manage the legal component of the new asset review process
- To the extent needed, manage civil or regulatory litigation matters and supervise outside counsel
- Work with the compliance team in obtaining licenses (including assisting with fact finding during the license selection process), communicating with regulators, drafting and maintaining internal policies, and working collaboratively to support the compliance function
- Collaborate with product and business development teams to achieve company-wide projects and goals;
- Assist as needed with corporate governance matters, including maintaining subsidiaries, tracking filing obligations, drafting board and shareholders meeting related materials and other corporate matters
- Manage legal requests from all areas of the business and effectively advise on legal concepts and legal risk with an eye towards the strategic goals of business leaders.
What We Look For In You:
- Active membership with a state bar (CA preferred) or eligible to practice in California as a registered in-house counsel
- Resident of the San Francisco Bay Area
- 5+ years of experience at a top-tier law firm and/or in-house legal team, preferably in a financial services or crypto industry
- Experience advising on cryptocurrency and blockchain technology legal issues (or strong interest and knowledge in the field) and have a basic understanding (or eager to learn) about the relevant legal/regulatory landscape
- Comfortable working independently in a fast-paced, growth-stage and multi-cultural environment
- Ability to effectively advise and build trust with business teams
- Ability to navigate through a rapidly-changing legal landscape and deal with legal ambiguity
- Ability to work in a high-functioning legal team and feel comfortable in a collaborative working environment
- Self-starter, quick learner who is highly driven, proactive, responsive and precise
Nice to Haves:
- Experience working on cross-jurisdictional matters and a global legal team
- Experience in general corporate and securities matters (e.g. SEC “Howey Test” application)
- Drafting, reviewing and negotiating contracts
Compensation and Benefits:
- Competitive total compensation package
- Comprehensive insurance package including medical, dental, vision, disability & life insurance
- 401K with company contribution
- Paid Parental Leave
- Employee Referral Bonus Program paid in BTC
- Company Donation Match
- More surprises when you join!
Okcoin is committed to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, genetic information, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, lawful alien status, national origin, age, marital status, and non-job related physical or mental disability, or protected veteran status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.