Who We Are
Okcoin is one of the world’s largest and fastest growing cryptocurrency exchanges. We help millions of people buy and sell bitcoin, and over 20 other crypto assets every day — but our work is a whole lot more than that. We’re building an inclusive future of finance, one that opens new opportunities to learn financial literacy, store value, and build wealth for everyone.
Ready to help the next billion people experience the future of finance with us? Come on board. We have offices in San Francisco, Malta, Hong Kong, Singapore, Japan, and Korea, but we believe in you working wherever you work best.
About the Opportunity:
We are looking for an exceptional lawyer (U.S. General Counsel) to join the U.S. subsidiary of a global digital assets and cryptocurrency exchange. This exciting role will serve as lead managing counsel reporting directly to the CEO of Okcoin’s US operations.
The role will be based in our San Francisco office. Working collaboratively with our EU, Hong Kong, Singapore and Asia-based executive teams, business stakeholders, and colleagues in Legal and Compliance globally, you will play a key role in advising Okcoin USA on a broad range of legal matters in the U.S. and the wider North America region, including compliance with applicable payment services and financial services law and regulation, consumer protection law, product roll-outs and strategic initiatives. You will also update and manage legal policies and procedures and oversee the smooth operation of legal processes to ensure that the business receives the highest quality legal advice, as the enterprise continues to expand globally.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Collaborate with Okcoin USA leadership to define, manage, and align the overall Okcoin legal strategy
- Work closely with business executives and the U.S. Legal team to ensure compliance with applicable e-money / payment services and financial services law and regulations and digital currency exchange best practices, as applicable to Okcoin USA
- Provide legal support to Okcoin USA, including assuming primary responsibility for oversight of legal matters in the launching of new products and services; assisting the business in rolling out products and services to new jurisdictions and providing support and advice in consultation with the U.S.-based legal team.
- Conduct ongoing reviews and due diligence for new assets being considered for listing on Okcoin, working with our Product Team, CCO, and Compliance Analysts globally.
- Provide guidance to Okcoin’s Human Resources team to navigate global labor laws for Okcoin’s distributed team as required
- Keep abreast of all regulatory and policy developments involving cryptocurrency in the U.S. and other key international jurisdictions to assist Okcoin USA in its advocacy for effective regulation
- Continuously assess operating risks and legal needs to ensure that the U.S. legal department is equipped to provide outstanding support as Okcoin’s international business continues to grow
- Manage outside counsel effectively where they are engaged in connection with specific projects
- Coordinate as needed with members of the broader Legal team in Hong Kong, Singapore to ensure consistency of approach, as appropriate.
What We Look For In You:
- Qualified lawyer with 8+ years experience working in a regulated payment services or financial services institution in the U.S. (e.g., bank, payment service firm, asset manager) or in a law firm supporting such clients. Previous in-house experience at a Fintech start-up desirable.
- Experience in handling matters before the SEC, CFTC and/or other key U.S. financial regulators; experience as a former regulator is a plus
- Experience working closely with an AML and regulatory compliance team across multiple jurisdictions, managing complex projects across multiple time zones with tight deadlines, and drafting/negotiating complex contracts
- Self-starter, quick learner with sense of urgency, highly driven and proactive - keen to create process and structure and strive for continuous improvement
- Exceptional professional judgment, exercised in a multicultural, global workplace
- Admitted to CA bar (preferred) in good standing, or another US jurisdiction.
Nice to Haves:
- Professional/personal experience and enthusiasm for cryptocurrencies / blockchain
- Comfortable working independently in a fast-paced, growth-stage and multi-cultural environment
Highlights of Perks and Benefits:
- Market competitive total compensation package
- Comprehensive insurance package including medical, dental, vision, disability & life insurance (Company pays 100% for employee/80% for dependents)
- 401K with company contribution
- Flexible PTO policy, company paid holidays, and flexible hours
- UberEats Program
- Paid Parental Leave
- Employee Referral Bonus Program paid in BTC
- Company Donation Match
- More surprises when you join!
OKCoin is committed to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, genetic information, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, lawful alien status, national origin, age, marital status, and non-job related physical or mental disability, or protected veteran status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.