Ogilvy was founded in 1948 by David Ogilvy. David created a culture that deeply respects and cares about its people and clients. Our mission is to inspire people and brands to make an impact and we are committed to attracting, growing, and retaining the best talent in the industry. Our health division is one of the largest global networks in healthcare communications and provides strategic, integrated communication solutions for our clients, including many of the biggest names in the pharmaceutical industry.
Ogilvy Health UK is made up of healthcare communication specialists across the disciplines of medical education and communications; brain sciences; brand promotion; digital and social; strategic planning; public relations and creative/design. We believe we are like no other: we blaze new trails; we encourage a culture of creativity and innovation; we challenge, and we change; and we recognise and reward our team.
In medical education, our approach is founded on expertise that combines biomedical science, learning theory and behaviour change to create impactful medical and professional education. We’re ‘Scientifically Grounded, Creatively Driven’.
About the Role
We are looking for a Principal Medical Writer to join us here at Ogilvy Health. Our superb team is dedicated to delivering high-quality, innovative, and impactful medical communication solutions. As a Principal Medical Writer, you will play a key role in shaping our clients' narratives and ensuring the dissemination of cutting-edge medical information. We partner with long standing clients who are launching two drugs for a rare disease that has a significant unmet need, so it's an exciting time in the lifecycle of these products. This is a fantastic opportunity to work across the spectrum of medical, publications, events and commercial activities for both global and EU teams.
In this role you'll work closely with both senior and junior member of the scientific team and closely collaborate with the client service team. The scientific team is currently made up of one MW, three SMWs and a scientific lead with additional support from senior scientific consultants so there will be ample opportunities for mentoring and coaching more junior writers but also to work with and learn from very experienced colleagues. There are also opportunities to collaborate with colleagues across the agency who have specific expertise in a variety of specialty areas such as adult learning, behavioural science and data comprehension design.
We're happy to speak to candidates who can comfortably travel to any of our London, Oxford or Manchester offices 2 days per week. We work on a hybrid basis with 2 days in the office and 3 from home, or wherever suits you best.
What You’ll Do
- Contribute to a full range of medical education/communication programmes
- Ensure delivery of high-quality scientific content, reviewing work by more junior colleagues
- Lead discussions with clients and external experts, face to face and on calls
- Contribute to scientific strategy to inform tactical planning of accounts, both internally and with clients
- Help to identify organic growth opportunities on accounts
- Contributing to the scientific development of proposals and pitches
- Line management, mentoring, coaching, and training
What You’ll Need
- Broad expertise in a range of medical education and communication materials including leading the development of strategic projects like scientific narratives and platforms
- Able to take the lead on novel project types, build strategic partnerships with key clients and participate in growing the business organically
- Able to draw on previous experiences to come up with creative and innovative solutions in response to client challenges
- Commitment to maintaining high quality standards across all materials and deliverables and able to demonstrate proactivity in suggesting new approaches to improve processes/standards
- Take responsibility for efficiency within our teams, ensuring appropriate use of resources to achieve value for money for clients and the agency
- 25 days holiday plus your birthday off and a paid volunteering day - after 2 years service you can purchase up to an additional 5 days per year
- Flexible working
- Enhanced parental leave
- A generous pension scheme - you pay in 4% we pay 6%, following probation contributions are matched up to 10.5% (17.5% in total)
- Private medical cover (Bupa) OR dental cover OR a monthly leisure allowance of £45 to spend on your health & wellbeing
- A fantastic EAP provided by LifeWorks which offers support, expert advice and specialist counselling
- Help at Hand - quick free access to a remote GP, mental health support, physio or a medical 2nd opinion
- Free 1-2-1 Coaching - online coaching for your professional or personal growth provided by Thrive Partners
- A comprehensive L&D programme