OfferUp is dedicated to building the simplest and most trustworthy way for people to buy and sell in their communities. Every year, millions of people use OfferUp to buy and sell locally, resulting in billions of dollars of local commerce. As the largest mobile marketplace for local buyers and sellers in the U.S., our iOS and Android app has been in the top five most popular shopping apps lists for more than three years. Join us as we build the marketplace of the future and reinvent local commerce by helping consumers uncover value through simplicity and trust.
At a Glance
- 85M+ Downloads
- Geekwire App of Year
- 15+ percent of adults in key markets like Los Angeles, Seattle, Miami and Las Vegas use OfferUp every month
About the role:
OfferUp is looking for an enthusiastic Data Scientist to join our collaborative team. The right candidate will #OwnIt and #DiveDeep, from manipulating and using new/existing data sources to elevating recommendations. Your role as a Data Scientist will be to research, design, implement and evaluate machine learning models and algorithms to support the intelligence of our products. You will have the opportunity to work on a wide variety of data science projects aimed to improve OfferUp's customer experience. We seek to delight our users with the safest, simplest and most effective local marketplace app on the planet. Additionally, you will have exposure to partnering with multiple stakeholders within Trust & Safety and Engineering - Integrity teams.
At OfferUp, you will be part of a purpose-driven community dedicated to creating a dynamic and versatile work environment. The Data Science team is an integral part of a growing organization that values #Neighborly collaboration and a #CustomerObsessed mindset.
Here’s more of what you will get to do:
- Serve as an analytics advisor to solve business problems using data.
- Define product requirements, provide analytical support, and create models to enhance the safety of our customers.
- Acquire, clean, and process data with reliable, maintainable code.
- Design and measure experiments to test in various cross-functional areas to evaluate hypotheses and come up with recommendations.
- Identify opportunities and execute results across the company in product search, personalization recommender, crime risk modeling, user reputation, etc.
- Contribute to the development of end-to-end experimentation-forward product improvements from conception/research, to offline testing, then live A/B testing and finally shipping to production.
- Leverage the latest machine learning technologies to solve complex business problems.
You’ll thrive in this role if you have:
- 1-3 years of demonstrated experience with machine learning or data science
- Expertise around programming languages such as Python and SQL
- Hands-on experience in predictive modeling and analyses to solve real business problems
- Strong analysis, problem solving, data structures and algorithm development background
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics or a technical related field
- Must be eligible to work in the United States
Helpful, but not required:
- Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics or a technical related field
- Experience working in e-commerce and mobile marketplaces
- Experience in the Trust & Safety / Risk domains
- Experience integrating code into a live production environment
- Some experience in some the following: entity extraction, semantics in text, image recognition, recommender systems, ranking, LDA, classification
OfferUp is changing the way people buy and sell locally and we’ve built a dynamic team to do it. To learn more about what it’s like to work at OfferUp, check out our blog: https://blog.offerup.com/tagged/culture
OfferUp provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OfferUp complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
OfferUp expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OfferUp’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.