OfferUp is dedicated to building the simplest and most trustworthy way for people to buy and sell in their communities. Every year, millions of people use OfferUp to buy and sell locally, resulting in billions of dollars of local commerce. As the largest mobile marketplace for local buyers and sellers in the U.S., our iOS and Android app has been in the top five most popular shopping apps lists for more than three years. Join us as we build the marketplace of the future and reinvent local commerce by helping consumers uncover value through simplicity and trust.
At a Glance
- 90M+ Downloads
- + Top 5 Shopping app in App Store and Google Play Store for three years
- 15+ percent of adults in key markets like Los Angeles, Seattle, Miami and Las Vegas use OfferUp every month
Due to the current pandemic, OfferUp offices are closed in Bellevue, Wa, and Miami, FL, and employees are working remotely until June 30, 2021. Once OfferUp deems it safe to open the offices, employees will have an option to continue to work remotely or in-office. All employees must reside in Washington, Florida, North Carolina, Nevada, Texas, Tennessee, whether working remotely full time or in an OfferUp Office location.
About the role:
OfferUp is looking for a Data Scientist II to join our team. The right candidate will have a passion for manipulating and using new and existing data sources to help drive actionable recommendations. We seek to delight our users with the safest, simplest and most effective local marketplace app on the planet. Your role as a Data Scientist will be to research, design, implement and evaluate machine learning models and algorithms to make our products more intelligent.
Here’s more of what you will get to do:
- Design and measure experiments to test in various cross-functional areas to challenge hypotheses and come up with actionable recommendations.
- Identify opportunities and drive results across the company in product search, personalization recommender, crime risk modeling, user reputation, etc.
- Develop end-to-end experimentation-driven product improvements from conception/research, to offline testing, then live A/B testing and finally shipping to production.
- Act as an analytics advisor to solve business problems using data.
- Leverage the latest machine learning technologies to solve complex business problems.
You’ll thrive in this role if you have:
- 4+ years of demonstrated experience with machine learning or data science
- Expertise around programming languages such as Python or Java
- Hands-on experience in predictive modeling and analyses to solve real business problems
- Strong analysis, problem solving, data structures and algorithm development background
- PhD or Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics or a technical related field
- A passion for working with large data sets
- Must be eligible to work in the United States
Helpful, but not required:
- Experience working in e-commerce and mobile marketplaces
- Experience integrating code into a live production environment
- Some experience in some the following: entity extraction, semantics in text, image recognition, recommender systems, ranking, LDA, classification
OfferUp is changing the way people buy and sell locally and we’ve built a dynamic team to do it. To learn more about what it’s like to work at OfferUp, check out our blog: https://blog.offerup.com/tagged/culture
OfferUp provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OfferUp complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
OfferUp expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OfferUp’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.