From the very beginning, OfferUp has believed that the right people united by the right mission can redefine the possible.
OfferUp’s mission is to build the largest, simplest and most trustworthy local marketplace. The free app for iOS and Android helps sellers quickly post items for sale with just a picture from their smartphones and lets buyers easily browse what's nearby. Now the largest mobile marketplace for local buyers and sellers in the U.S., OfferUp brings millions of people together to discover more value right where they are.
At a Glance
- A top shopping app on iTunes and Google Play
- Geekwire App of Year
- 60+ Million Downloads
Do you thrive in a start-up environment? Do you have the business development skills to identify the right new opportunities to accelerate growth. Do you have the analytical and negotiation skills to manage a variety of vendor relationships and produce gains in efficiency and reduce cost? Do you have the leadership skills needed to help further establish OfferUp as the leading mobile local marketplace in the US? OfferUp is looking for a Head of Business Development and Vendor Management who is experienced in working with a variety of different business partners and different business models in a scrappy, tech startup environment.
The ideal candidate (you) will manage and develop OfferUp’s present and future partnerships and avenues of business growth, as well as negotiating and managing contracts with current and future vendors. In this role, you will partner cross-functionally across OfferUp’s engineering, customer support, finance and legal and executive teams.
We are seeking an exceptional leader with a track record of success in the areas of business development and vendor management. This position will have a proven track record of working with a variety of customers at the VP level or higher, and has a good understanding of business models in e-commerce and online advertising. They should have a demonstrated ability to think strategically and analytically about business, product, and technical challenges, with the ability to build and convey compelling value propositions, and work cross-organizationally to build consensus. A leader who is driven, adaptable and able to deliver results in a scrappy way and thrives in a startup environment is a must.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Serve as the leader of the Business Development and Vendor Management at OfferUp
- Define and execute on a strategic market development plan and ensure it is in line with OfferUp’s operating plan in partnership with key internal stakeholders (e.g., product teams, engineering, customer support, finance, legal, etc.)
- Define and establish a process for vendor management at OfferUp in collaboration with internal stakeholders
- Gather business requirements for new third party vendor needs and effectively source and negotiate contracts with them
- Build business development pipeline by engaging with key prospects and partners
- Understand the technical requirements of our customers and work closely with the internal development teams to guide the direction of our product offerings
- Present business reviews to the senior management team regarding progress and roadblocks to meeting our business development and vendor cost management goals
- Manage complex contract negotiations and liaison with the legal group
- Manage effective cost reduction of third party vendor spending
- Handle a high volume of engagements and interactions in a fast paced tech startup company
- Strong leader with technical, product and customer facing experience
- 7-10 years of business development and/or vendor management experience in the tech industry (ideally a mix of large and small companies)
- The right person will be analytical and data-driven, and demonstrate balanced strategy and planning, and execution skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills are a must
- 10+ years of relevant work experience
- Education: M.B.A or technical degree (Computer Science/Engineering/Math) is a plus
- Strong leadership skills are key, with proven verbal and written communication skills with demonstrated ability to work effectively across internal and external organizations, and lead through influence