OfferUp’s mission is to build the largest, simplest and most trustworthy local marketplace. The free app for iOS and Android helps sellers quickly post items for sale with just a picture from their smartphones and lets buyers easily browse what's nearby. Now the largest mobile marketplace for local buyers and sellers in the U.S., OfferUp brings millions of people together to discover more value right where they are.
At a Glance
- A top shopping app on iTunes and Google Play
- Geekwire App of Year
- 60+ Million Downloads
OfferUp is rapidly growing our Trust and Safety team in the Greater Seattle area and is seeking an experienced Marketplace Policy Manager to define and own the policies that enable OfferUp to achieve its mission of the simplest and most trustworthy local marketplace.
Reporting to the Head of Trust & Safety, this role will have high visibility across all parts of the company, including legal, product, marketing, business development, operations, and PR teams. You will need to be proactive and engaged, a strong communicator, capable of building strong relationships internally and externally, and excited about technology and e-commerce. You will bring both empathy and deep strategic thinking to understanding and implementing policy at OfferUp.
Key measures of success include: Preserving the long-term health of the marketplace, maintaining a positive user experience, and providing sufficient transparency to both internal stakeholders and our users.
What you’ll do:
- Act as the escalation point of contact for policy issues and questions.
- Work closely with partners from across the company to help craft policy to ensure the highest-quality customer experience on OfferUp, balancing customer and business needs.
- Solicit feedback from different teams across the business and synthesize multiple opinions into comprehensive policy proposals.
- Prepare clear and detailed analysis exploring important policy questions; Identify and champion process improvement ideas and systems enhancements that could increase the productivity or quality of our content operations.
- Dive into unfamiliar, ambiguous, and emerging subject matters and become an expert in them by working with relevant product and trust & safety teams.
- Conduct rigorous analysis, both quantitative and qualitative, and thorough research, both internal and external, to inform policy recommendations.
- Approach each policy with an automation first mindset.
- Analyze the impact of policy changes and present insights around policy launches and post-implementation monitoring.
- Constantly iterate on our policies to ensure that policies reflect our brand mission and values.
- Drive internal and external awareness and understanding of policies and the rationale behind them.
- 5+ years of successful development of policies and procedures while working in user safety, risk management, intellectual property, user-generated content, or community management in e-commerce, social media, online marketplace or the sharing economy.
- Have a deep understanding of the online safety trends and landscape by identifying risky behavior, suspicious patterns, and deceptive online practices.
- The ideal candidate is a highly motivated, consumer tech savvy, and community focused individual.
- Passion for problem-solving problems big and small, with an analytical and data-driven approach without a prescribed template.
- Influential with great communication skills, both written and verbal, and able to articulate clear, compelling stories out of complex issues
- Smart, organized analytical thinker, with the ability to perform detailed analysis of numerous metrics.
- Proven results in balancing due diligence while delivering quick and though outcomes.
- Knowledge of analytical tools and the use of data to validate strategies or hypotheses.
OfferUp provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OfferUp complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
OfferUp expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OfferUp’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.