OfferUp is changing the way people buy and sell locally with its mission to build the largest, simplest and most trustworthy local marketplace. We are a rapidly growing team and are looking to bring on passionate, motivated, inspiring and curious engineers and leaders to be part of our team.
OfferUp is looking for a hands on senior engineering leader to scale and lead our infrastructure engineering organization driving people, technology and execution excellence. The ideal candidate (you) has experience managing an organization of backend/frontend infrastructure engineers, leading other managers, and helping their teams deliver their projects on time and with engineering excellence. The leader will build and lead our DevOps culture, tooling and environment both for services and applications. As Director of Engineering, you will drive career growth and development for engineers. You will also provide leadership in planning and execution by working effectively with stakeholders such as Product, Operations, Design, Research, Data scientists, etc. and nurture a collaborative working relationship between engineering and rest of the company. You will be responsible for driving engineering excellence with respect to people, design, architecture, code quality and operational excellence.
The role will include:-
- Establishing goals and metrics for engineering velocity; balancing and driving measurable improvements in operation stability; engineering impact and velocity; and quality and risk reduction. Deliver data and dashboards to demonstrate the impact your team is having.
- Delivering the end-to-end developer toolchain for both backend and frontend applications, working collaboratively with engineers and engineering leaders to understand and meet their requirements through tools, processes and culture. Prioritizing your work to meet short-term needs while making appropriate long term investments.
- Working collaboratively with engineering leaders and engineers across the organization to identify the appropriate resources required to deliver on your commitments
- Developing and evangelizing best practices and tools to support a culture of Security-Conscious engineering. Your team will be responsible for Security Engineering tools and best practices and vendor management.
- Developing and evangelizing tools, processes and solutions to support the live site, monitor service quality and effectively respond to incidents.
- Helping to identify and evaluate third-party vendors, and manage the technical aspects of the relationship.
- Recruit and build a world-class team.
You would also be the ideal Director of Infrastructure if you demonstrate:
- People/Culture Excellence: You are passionate about building and developing a world class engineering culture. You take pride in hiring, growing and mentoring the next generation of engineering leaders at OfferUp. You are humble and drive positivity.
- Technical Excellence: You have earned the respect of your peers, managers and partners for your ability to grasp difficult technical challenges and invent practical, sustainable solutions.
- Execution Excellence: You rally your teams to meet their commitments to each other and to our customers. Find ways to fix and evolve systems/processes to drive up engineering efficiency and velocity.
- Product/Business Excellence: You drive and deliver results by building the best possible customer experiences that move the needle for business. Seeing your teams’ solutions ship, scale and make a measurable impact on customers’ lives excites and fuels you.
- BS in Computer Science, or equivalent.
- 15+ years experience planning, designing, developing and delivering software.
- 10+ years experience as a people manager in a software development organization.
- Hands-on experience leading 30+ people tech teams which includes being manager of managers in a product development organization.
- Experience in development of distributed/scalable systems, high-volume transaction and client applications.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences.
- High attention to detail and proven ability to manage multiple, competing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Customer driven. Understands the impact that all decision will make on our users.