Octane AI is developing conversational AI technologies that reimagine online commerce. We are the leading all-in-one platform for engaging quizzes, data collection, and personalized Facebook Messenger and SMS automation for Shopify and Shopify Plus brands. We provide a unified platform for connecting, converting, and retaining customers. Octane AI's current and upcoming products democratize personalization and automation technologies previously only available to multi-billion dollar corporations. Some of our investors include General Catalyst, Boost VC, and M Ventures.
About the role:
As the second finance hire at Octane AI, you will have a big impact on our internal financial operations. You will report to and work closely with our VP of Finance & Operations. You will spend your time building out, refining, and managing our internal processes and systems and constantly looking for ways to preserve capital. This role will contribute to the future financial health of the company and is a crucial role as we continue to experience rapid growth. You will be empowered with visibility to the entire organization, which provides a unique vantage point to develop insights that will meaningfully impact the company’s trajectory. The more you can streamline our processes, the more opportunities you will have to tackle other strategic projects and grow.
You can be located anywhere, but this particular role is required to work in a US time zone.
Process & Communication Management:
- Improve, create, and enforce financial processes throughout the organization.
- Act as the liaison between our current financial consultants to ensure financial reporting reflects nuances of our business.
- Communicate with our external legal team when needed.
- Own finance related email groups and Slack channels of communication.
- Manage our credit card programs and evaluate new programs.
- Manage our bank account and evaluate switching to a new bank.
- Manage payroll for both our US team and international contractors via Rippling, Deel, and Remote.com.
- Manage and track reimbursements for employees.
- Keep internal finance spreadsheets updated.
- Manage AR/AP.
- Manage our equity grants via Carta.
- Conduct financial analysis and audits with the goal of preserving capital.
- Other responsibilities around financial analysis, financial planning, depending on bandwidth, interest and capabilities, etc.
- You have 3+ years experience working in a finance role such as finance manager, controller, or in-house accountant (Accounting, Banking, Management Consulting and/or Strategic Finance experience is a plus).
- You have worked in a VC-backed software startup or high-growth company in corporate finance, strategy, or business operations functions (experience with software-as-a-service business models is a plus).
- Identifying opportunities for improvement, ideating smart processes, implementing changes and tracking results is something that brings you true joy.
- You like having a wide range of responsibilities.
- You are detail oriented.
- You are curious and obsessed with business impact.
- You enjoy a balance of collaboration and working autonomously.
- You have excellent Excel skills.
- You love working with data.
- You are self-aware and understand what a healthy communication cadence looks like.
- Experience with Google Suite, Slack, QuickBooks, Bill.com, Expensify, Rippling, Deel, and Remote.com is a plus.
- Financial modeling experience is a plus.
- The ability to work from anywhere in the world. Our team works from New York, Portland, Barcelona, Austin, Canada, and more. Currently we have team members in 13 different countries. As long as you can get the work done, we don't care where you are!
- Excellent health benefits: health, dental and vision insurance for US employees and health benefits for select countries.
- 401(k) for US employees.
- Flexible vacation policy, paid holidays, parental leave, and sick leave.
- Paid-Paid Vacation - we pay YOU to take a vacation!
- Professional Development allowance.
- Fitness and home office credits. We want your workspace to be your happy place.
- Generous stock options.
- Growth and leadership opportunities. We invest in the tools and training that will help your long-term career.
- An amazing team of wonderfully driven and talented people.
Working at Octane AI
- The happier we are, the stronger our team is. Being a remote company allows us to work with flexibility. Need to pick up a sick child from school, make that 4pm workout class or run a last-minute errand? Don’t worry, life happens, and we support you.
- Your ideas are welcome. We empower everyone to share their ideas because the best ideas come from everywhere. From our new employees to co-founders, everyone has valuable experiences that help influence our product and team.
- Asking questions is a sign of strength. Don't hesitate to ask for help if you feel stuck on a task or problem. Everyone needs a helping hand or fresh inspiration sometimes, and you’ll find that each one of your teammates is at your service.
- Bureaucracy doesn’t bog us down. We want you to feel empowered to talk to anyone on the team--anytime. We are all equally special and important people with tons to contribute, and living this is what gives us a competitive edge.
- We iterate quickly. Projects generally take days or weeks, not months. We have a collaborative environment where you can share a work-in-progress and get feedback quickly. We like to get our work into the hands of our customers and community as quickly as possible.
- Non-work banter makes our work better. We genuinely like each other, largely because we really get to know each other. Real connections breed deeper trust and support. So go ahead, share about your weekend, spark that impromptu trivia game, and go wild trying a fast parrot emoji-inspired dance in the all-hands meeting. You being you makes us, us.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger.