Octane AI is an all-remote and venture-backed startup seeking a VP of Finance interested in developing the future of ecommerce.
Octane AI is developing conversational AI technologies that reimagines online commerce. Octane AI is the leading Facebook Messenger & SMS marketing platform for Shopify and Shopify Plus brands. Octane AI provides a unified platform for connecting, converting, and retaining customers. Octane AI’s current and upcoming products democratize personalization and automation technologies previously only available to multi-billion dollar corporations. Some of our investors include General Catalyst, Bullpen, Boost VC, FJ Labs, and M Ventures.
As the VP of Finance at Octane AI, you will lead our finance, budget, and accounting efforts. Your role will involve uncovering and providing key financial insights, budgetary guidance, and support to the highest levels of the organization. You will help direct the Strategic Plan and Monthly Forecast Updates and proactively identify business opportunities and recommend actions to mitigate risks and reduce burn.
This is an opportunity to roll up your sleeves and come in at the ground level of a fast-paced startup, while directly impacting the company’s growth!
How you’ll make an impact:
- Serve as a member of the leadership team; providing financial analysis, support and inputs to management on major business initiatives, as well as strategic inputs to help shape and drive the Octane AI’s key business objectives.
- Oversee preparation and delivery of annual, quarterly and monthly financial statements and related analyses to the management team and investor group.
- Manage the annual budgeting and planning process; prepare budgets by establishing schedules; collecting, analyzing, and consolidating financial data; forecasting revenue and expenses; recommending plans.
- Review daily/weekly/monthly sales performance, highlighting material variances to expectation and resulting actions required. This includes defining, refining, and interpreting the financial impact of KPIs
- Optimize spend through strategic and analytical evaluation of current spend, identification of improvements and efficiencies and execution of activities to improve return on investment
- Identify future opportunities and/or issues, and articulate strong and clear positions based on sound judgment, and the balance of both short-term and longer-term impact
- Build and maintain company projections and financial models for short and long-term planning
- Work cross functionally with other departments within the company on various projects
- Guiding the company through M&A, fund-raising and other significant transactions
What we are looking for:
- Experience in finance at an early or mid-stage startup -- you should be familiar with the pitfalls and opportunities that a company at our stage experiences.
- Comfortable supporting the strategic direction of all internal and external stakeholders with an organization
- CPA, Big 4 experience, and/or recent experience scaling a finance team from inception to $10 million+ in annual revenues or 75+ full-time employees preferred
- Strong knowledge of corporate finance and other accounting theory, principles and practices to include GAAP, SaaS accounting, prepaid expenses & accrued revenue, ASC 605: Revenue Recognition, ASC 985-605: Software Revenue Recognition, ASC 805: Business Combinations and ASC 718: Stock-Based Compensation
- Solid experience with financial analysis and forecasting, including experience with three statement financial modeling, preparing statistical reports and making recommendations based on research
- Strong knowledge of and experience with tax processes
- Comfort in the startup environment (i.e., sometimes chaotic and lacking structure) and able to create structure and foundational accounting processes
- 8+ years of experience in finance/accounting
- Willing and excited about diving into the numbers and being hands-on
- Strong priority management skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- You are an awesome human who is excited to support a remote team!
- The ability to work from anywhere in the world. Our team works from New York, Portland, Barcelona, Austin, Canada, and more. Currently we have team members in 13 different countries. As long as you can get the work done, we don't care where you are!
- Excellent health benefits: health, dental and vision insurance for US employees and health benefits for selected countries
- 401(k) for US employees
- Flexible vacation policy, paid holidays, parental leave, and sick leave
- Fitness and home office credits. We want your workspace to be your happy place.
- Generous stock options
- Growth opportunities. We invest in the tools and training that will help your long-term career.
- An amazing team of wonderfully talented people
More about working at Octane AI
- We believe the happier you are, the more productive you and the team are. Being a remote company allows us to work from wherever we'd prefer. Spend your evenings and weekends with your family/friends/hobbies.
- We hate bureaucracy. Feel free to talk to anyone on the team.
- Your ideas are welcome. If you know how to improve our workflow, our product, our processes, don't be shy to share it.
- In our weekly meetings, we do a fun thing called "fast parrot". Everybody, including the CEO, is involved. It's a little weird and fun at the same time, especially if you are doing a meeting from a public place.
- We iterate quickly. Projects generally take days or weeks, not months. We have a collaborative environment where you can share a work in progress and get feedback quickly. We like to get something in the hands of our customer and get their feedback as quickly as possible.
- If you feel you are stuck with a task don't hesitate to ask for help. There are no stupid questions and nobody expects you to know everything.