Who We Are
Ocado is a UK based company admitted to trading on the London Stock Exchange (Ticker OCDO). It comprises one of the world's largest dedicated online grocery retailers, operating its own grocery and general merchandise retail businesses under Ocado.com and other specialist shop banners, together with its Ocado Solutions division.
The Ocado Solutions division is responsible for providing Ocado’s innovative advanced robotics technology, known as the Ocado Smart Platform ("OSP"), to our major retailer clients around the world. OSP comprises access to Ocado's physical infrastructure solutions, running highly efficient warehouse operations for the single pick of products, together with the entire end-to-end proprietary software applications and advanced robotics required to operate a world-class online grocery business.
Our unique, proprietary and industry-leading technology is set to transform the shopping experience of consumers around the world. We have partnered with Sobeys to help it redefine the grocery customer experience in Canada through the adoption of the centralized, automated model of online retailing provided by the Ocado Smart Platform.
Come join us as we build our North American team, bringing world-class innovation and technologies to one of the most exciting global markets for e-commerce.
What You Will Do
As our Business Support Manager, you will report to the Vice President of Human Resources, North America and will provide on-site support services to the Senior Engineering Operations Manager and the engineering and technology teams. Though this role is predominantly HR-focused, in addition to on-site human resources support, you will also deliver high-quality, effective and efficient day-to-day office administration, health and safety, finance, and other business functions.
Day-to-day activities may include:
- On-site employee relations support to managers and employees
- Facilitating and assisting with recruitment, orientation and onboarding of new employees
- Supporting managers with performance management activities, to include probationary reviews, coaching and corrective action conversations, and terminations
- Assisting human resources and payroll with employee timekeeping functions and payroll questions
- Administering general illness absences and injury at work tracking, reporting and documentation
- Acting as a liaison between employees and the total rewards team on questions and needs regarding benefits
- Facilitating employee engagement and recognition programs
- Supporting the learning and development team with on-site training and employee development administration and tasks
- Liaising between employees and the global mobility and HR general central services teams
- Providing support to visitors and short-term assignees, acting as the main point of contact on site
- Assisting with mandatory health and safety filings
- Supporting in-house health and safety reviews and audits
- Participating as a joint health and safety committee member
- Liaising with the technology team for the provision of desktop technology
- Administering and ensuring compliance with data security requirements
- Managing invoices for the engineering and technology teams, along with satisfying any requests from the finance team
- Purchasing office equipment and supplies, as needed
- Liaising with local and central legal advisors, as needed
You may be asked to perform tasks as required by management deemed as a reasonable request. This job description is a summary of the typical functions of the role, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of possible role responsibilities, tasks and duties and is subject to review. The responsibilities, tasks and duties of the job holder might differ from those outlined in the job description and other duties, as assigned, might form part of the job.
Who You Are
To qualify for our Business Support Manager position, you must meet the following requirements:
- A bachelor’s degree in human resources, business, or a related field
- A minimum of five years of experience in human resources, with a strong understanding of Ontarian labor law, employee relations best practices, engagement, diversity and inclusion initiatives, basic payroll requirements, performance management and disciplinary action, and employee relations investigations
- A minimum of one year managing an office setting, to include some accounting and office administration
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational skills, with the ability to prioritize and multitask
- Able to successfully work autonomously and in a team environment
- Experience working for an international, matrixed organization preferred
This position is located in our automated warehouse facility in Calgary.
We have revolutionised the online grocery world. Our technology is at the forefront of our business and it’s the people, like you, willing to challenge the norm to come up with innovative ideas that have enabled this. We offer a challenge like no other, interesting projects to work on and a sense that you are part of a team doing something different. With this being our first site in Canada, you will be part of our success in a new country, with opportunities to develop your career within a structured path, whether it be improving your technical skills and ability or progressing into management roles. So what are you waiting for?
For a sense of who we are and what we deliver we invite you to explore online to learn more about Ocado Technology and Ocado Engineering, which directly support the Ocado Solutions division, and take the next step in what will be an amazing career with us.
Learn about our partnership with Sobeys:
- Ocado seals new international tie-up with Sobeys in Canada
- A sneak peek at the future of grocery automation in Canada
- Check out this video about our advanced robotics technology
Ocado Solutions values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing employment accommodation in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.