Mechanical and Electrical Engineers!!
As an Ocado Engineer, you will lead and manage how the shift based Engineering Technicians undertake the day to day reactive and planned engineering activities and improvement works within the ZOOM site/network. This will include day to day personnel management, driving standards and ensuring the team is of technical excellence.
Engineers play an important part in supporting the Operation in our state of the art, automated Customer Fulfilment Centres, providing 1st line response to Engineering fault conditions, reactive and planned maintenance activities as well as proactive improvement works.
Shift: Our Engineering Team work 12 hour shifts working an average of 42 hours per week, where you will be required to work weekdays and weekends both days and nights.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Day to day supervision of shift technicians including prioritisation and allocation of workload
- Be proactive in the development of team members, advise, lead and motivate team members, assess capability and identify and resolve training and skill requirements, be involved in disciplinary issues.
- Assessment of engineering team skills and assisting in upskilling and training of staff, including integration of first line maintenance of plant and equipment.
- Management and development of department processes; including shift handovers, briefs, and defect reporting/resolving
- Reporting and monitoring of data capture for automation and maintenance activities
- Be required to keep accurate records such as work activities, tasks carried out, parts used through stores, etc.
- Ability to lead from the front, driving pace accuracy and standards. As part of this, be competent and experienced as an Engineer in your own right, either mechanically or electrically, although you must be familiar and competent with both streams of engineering to enable decision making.
- Reacting to MHE breakdowns (both mechanical and electrical), locating the fault, analysing the issue and completing the fix in a timely manner to keep operation downtime to a minimum.
- Work closely with other departments to find ways to increase machine reliability on existing and new equipment, diagnose equipment breakdowns and action repairs ensuring direction of labour and planned engineering activities fully support the operation.
- Attend meetings as required, analyse data and find solutions to improve equipment performance whilst ensuring safe working practice and full communications are maintained at all times.
- Process stores purchase orders, invoicing and associated admin processes
- Building relationships with suppliers to ensure best value and service levels
- Identifying alternate suppliers, seeking best value and service for the engineering stores.
- Supporting maintenance admin in the KPI reporting, review stores KPI’s to identify trends. Take corrective actions as required to adjust levels and make recommendations to management to address adverse trends
You may also be asked to perform tasks as required by management deemed as a reasonable request. This job description is a summary of the typical functions of the role, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of possible role responsibilities, tasks and duties and is subject to review. The responsibilities, tasks and duties of the job holder might differ from those outlined in the job description and other duties, as assigned, might form part of the job.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- Good technical ability relating to automation hardware and software, this may include, but is not limited to…
- Higher education (diploma) Engineering,
- Equivalent relevant Degree coupled with relevant applied learning,
- Engineering Technical Apprenticeship
- Electrical and/or mechanical skills preferably gained in an FMCG background to at least NVQ 3
- Experience at a management or supervisory level within an automated environment
- Good organisational ability and the ability to plan and prioritise.
- Strong organisation and communication skills and the ability to work in a multi-disciplined team of varying levels of technical experience.
- Sound analytical skills with an eye for detail; good problem solving ability and a practical approach.
- Comprehensive understanding of production, picking and storage MHE systems, gained from experience in an automated environment.
- Experience of a FMCG environment.
- Experience of working with Computerised maintenance management systems
- Numerate and PC literate including Word, Excel etc.
You will be required to complete your training in your first 4-6 weeks in the role. This training will be held at our sites in either Purfleet and/or Erith to be completed Monday-Friday.
What will I get in return?
- Competitive salary and benefits including Free Shares and Life Assurance
- 15% off your Ocado shopping
- Onsite subsidised café and company shop offering discounts of up to 70% on groceries from leading brands and major retailers
- Private Healthcare
- National discounts including Vodafone, Merlin Attractions, Cineworld, Enterprise Car Hire and many more
- Enhanced Pension scheme - matching up to 7% of your contributions
- Employee Assistance Programme