“We are on a mission to transform the future of grocery retail through sustained technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using the cloud, robotics, AI, and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, the world’s largest online-only grocery retailer as well as the global ‘Ocado Smart Platform’. With everything from websites to fully autonomous warehouse that we design in-house, our employees need to be specialists in a wide range of technologies to help drive our business.
Senior Software Engineer (GraphQL) (2 days office, 3 days WFH)
To help design and build the GraphQL OSP Flex Headless Commerce Proposition in collaboration with the Ecommerce stream
Roles & Responsibilities
Proposed Mission: Provide a world class GraphQL headless commerce solution that provides the best of OSP Ecom and allows our retailers to integrate and innovate with OSP in ways we have not imagined before
Goals for the first 6 months:
- Enable retailers to integrate OSP with 3rd Party recipe apps
- Allow a full shop and delivery to be completed on OSP just via our GraphQL API's
- Help the team plan and prioritise the future goals and roadmap for Headless
The team has an ambitious goal enhancing the OSP offering by providing a GraphQL Headless Commerce Solution on top of OSP. This will unlock 2 areas of potential for OSP:
- Sign new deals with retailers where control of the UI/UX is key to them but they want all the benefits that OSP offers.
- Enable our existing retailers to use and integrate OSP more directly into their business in new and interesting ways.
- In order to achieve this we will need to work closely with all teams across ecommerce to help define and implement a single suite of APIs so we can present headless as a single product to prospective and current clients.
Initially you will be responsible for working with the team and Product Manager to:
- Design and determine the GraphQL Schema we need to build in order to achieve our goals
- Design and determine the scope of the GraphQL schema we need to build to deliver the project
- Work with the domain teams to agree and finalise those designs
- Develop the resolver endpoints inside the domain teams systems in collaboration and sign off by those domain teams of the work being done.
- Externalise these endpoints
- Support domain teams in designing Headless GraphQL APIs in their own systems if their roadmaps and time allow for it
What we're looking for:
- GraphQL API Schema Design Knowledge and Experience
- GraphQL performance management and monitoring
- Ability to effectively facilitate discussions across a range of API design topics within the team and other eCommerce teams, and the ability to communicate and engage others around the decisions made in the team.
- Strong collaboration skills that will allow you to work effectively alongside teams across all the departments inside of Ecomm and across the business
It would be nice to have:
- Familiarity with ecommerce flows
- Experience around building GrpahQL APIs for external consumption
- Modular Architecture and Design experience
What we can offer you:
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. We can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and;
- Flexible working patterns and options for remote working (depending on your role/team)
- Wellbeing support through Apps such as Unmind and an Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 27 days after 5 years service (plus optional holiday purchase)
- Pension scheme (various options available including employer contribution matching up to 7%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 22 weeks paid maternity leave and 6 weeks paid paternity leave (once relevant service requirements complete)
- Train Ticket loan (interest-free)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Free shuttle bus to and from Hatfield Train Station to the Hatfield offices
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn share schemes
- 15% discount on Ocado.com and free delivery for all employees
- Income Protection (can be up to 50% of salary for 3 years) and Life Assurance (3 x annual salary)
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Our Talent Community is a great way to stay up-to-date with our latest career opportunities, as well as news and relevant careers insights. Register today, and be the first to be notified when a role we think you’d be perfect for becomes available.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Whilst we are able to offer visa sponsorship, please note that we are only able to cover the company-specific costs. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one. All benefits information is subject to change and the terms of the individual arrangements.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.
We are committed to making reasonable adjustments to provide a positive barrier-free recruitment process and supportive work environment. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at the time of application.