“We are on a mission to transform the future of grocery retail through sustained technology innovation.”
What does the team do
We are building a small, diverse, agile, highly-resourced team to develop and own the hardware behind our Robotic Pick system. We’re looking for outstanding, enthusiastic engineers to join us, at the start of what promises to be an exciting, challenging push to engineer 100% automated, completely unmanned grocery fulfillment centers. We are offering a highly competitive package to the right candidate.
Within the division, you’ll be working closely alongside world-leading experts in robotics and computer vision, who have already achieved results that are putting us leagues ahead of our competitors. We’re a friendly group, and any one of us will happily talk (at length) about the tech we are working on. Following our recent acquisitions of Haddington and Kindred, you’ll also be liaising with engineers from around the globe who can’t resist solving the unsolvable.
What would I be doing?
As it’s a small team, you’ll be a key voice in the development of the technology. We are looking for a candidate to form an integral part of our development lifecycle, who can design and execute product test regimes, and interpret the test results for our design engineers. You will have access to a wide variety of in-house highly-equipped fabrication workshops, as well as a wealth of external suppliers at your fingertips. You’ll be expected to keep up with the cadence of the team, developing, failing, and learning fast, and we’ll provide you with all the resources required to do so.
What we are looking for
You are a skilled reliability engineer with proven experience testing and validating products and components at all stages of the development lifecycle. You have a proven track record of ALT and HALT testing, along with the results to show for it - new failure modes identified, successful component selection, and key learnings fed back into the design process.
You aren’t afraid to get your hands dirty, and are familiar with the design and construction of electro-mechanical test rigs. You are confident in designing tests to elicit meaningful, valid, useful results, and understand the subtleties involved in obtaining statistically significant results.
We want to talk to people with...
- A good degree in an engineering/science discipline such as, Mechanical Engineering, Electronics, Physics or Mathematics
- Excellent numerical, modelling and structured problem-solving skills
- Experience of collating, analysing and interpreting large data sets
- Writing and implementing product verification test plans
- Ability to read mechanical and / or electrical drawings
- Strong hands-on / practical experience of testing products
- Ability to produce and present technical findings across all business levels
- Experience of using FMEA to drive design optimisation
- Flexibility to travel to Ocado’s other sites within the UK and overseas as and when required
This would make you stand out from the crowd
- A statistics based post-graduate qualification
- Practical experience in product design or fabrication
- Experience of using accelerated life testing and reliability growth curves in electro-mechanical product development
- Experience in managing product test activities and resources
- Experience of using Minitab and/or Six Sigma toolkits
- Developing experiments based on statistical techniques to support new product development
- Experience working with material handling equipment and automation systems
- Use of data analytical tools such as SQL, Python
- Proficiency in reliability software packages such as BlockSIM, Weibull++
About Ocado Technology
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using advanced artificial intelligence, robotics, big data, the cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond. With everything from websites to highly automated warehouses that we design in-house, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies, working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast- growing company: today we have colleagues in 7 development centre across the UK and Europe, with offices open in London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria) and Barcelona (Spain), with a satellite office in Stockholm (Sweden).
What we offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. We can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and;
- Flexible working patterns and options for remote working (depending on your role/team)
- Wellbeing support through Apps such as Unmind and an Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 27 days after 5 years service (plus optional holiday purchase)
- Pension scheme (various options available including employer contribution matching up to 7%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 22 weeks paid maternity leave and 6 weeks paid paternity leave (once relevant service requirements complete)
- Train Ticket loan (interest-free)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Free shuttle bus to and from Welwyn Garden City Train Station to the Welwyn Garden City offices
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn share schemes
- 15% discount on Ocado.com and free delivery for all employees
- Income Protection (can be up to 50% of salary for 3 years) and Life Assurance (3 x annual salary)