Data Scientist (DS1), based in Hatfield
“We are on a mission to transform the future of grocery retail through sustained technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using the cloud, robotics, AI, and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, the world’s largest online-only grocery retailer as well as the global ‘Ocado Smart Platform’. With everything from websites to fully autonomous warehouse that we design in-house, our employees need to be specialists in a wide range of technologies to help drive our business.
A little about the team:
The role of an Data Scientist is to develop optimisation algorithms to improve the efficiency of our operation. Ocado has many optimisation problems, including: vehicle routing, staff rostering, cubing, product ordering, CFC layout.
Role and Responsibilities:
You will be responsible for research scope, delivery approach and research outputs from the group, including appropriate timeliness and quality. This includes:
- Understanding and defining the scope of problems
- Designing and prototyping algorithms
- Working with software engineers to get these algorithms into production
- Sharing knowledge and expertise with the wider group
You may be asked to perform tasks as required by management deemed as a reasonable request. This job description is a summary of the typical functions of the role, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of possible role responsibilities, tasks and duties and is subject to review. The responsibilities, tasks and duties of the job holder might differ from those outlined in the job description and other duties, as assigned, might form part of the job.
We're interested in Candidates with a skillset of;
- Experience in modelling and solving optimisation problems (using exact or heuristic methods)
- Demonstrated computer programming skills in Java, Python or similar
- Passionate problem solver with quantitative mind and eagerness to learn
- Practical work experience modelling and solving optimisation problems
- A strong academic record including an MSc. or PhD in Operational Research, Computer Science, Mathematics or related disciplines from a top-ranked university
- Experience with optimisation solver software (e.g. IBM CPLEX, Gurobi)
- Familiarity with optimisation problems arising in supply chain
- Familiarity with linear and mixed integer programming
- Familiarity with optimisation heuristic methods e.g. Local Search, Genetic Algorithms, Ant Colony
- optimisation etc.
- Familiarity with Graph Theory
- Familiarity with simulation modelling and tools
What we can offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. We can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and;
- Flexible working patterns and options for remote working (depending on your role/team)
- Wellbeing support through Apps such as Unmind and an Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 27 days after 5 years service (plus optional holiday purchase)
- Pension scheme (various options available including employer contribution matching up to 7%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 22 weeks paid maternity leave and 6 weeks paid paternity leave (once relevant service requirements complete)
- Train Ticket loan (interest-free)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Free shuttle bus to and from Hatfield Train Station to the Hatfield offices
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn share schemes
- 15% discount on Ocado.com and free delivery for all employees
- Income Protection (can be up to 50% of salary for 3 years) and Life Assurance (3 x annual salary)
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Whilst we are able to offer visa sponsorship, please note that we are only able to cover the company-specific costs. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one. All benefits information is subject to change and the terms of the individual arrangements.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.
We are committed to making reasonable adjustments to provide a positive barrier-free recruitment process and supportive work environment. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at the time of application.