About Ocado Technology
“Ocado Technology, powering the future of retail through sustained disruptive technology innovation...”
Ocado Technology is the in-house technology division of over 1,000+ software developers, engineers, researchers and scientists that uses the latest in AI, robotics, cloud services, big data, and mobile technologies. We brainstorm, design, architect, innovate, experiment, build and maintain the systems that power Ocado.
Building this cutting edge technology is only possible through extensive simulation, which drives decisions around warehouse design, business planning and control algorithms. We have recently developed a brand new simulation tool to help us understand the performance of our In Store Fulfilment (ISF) offering, and are looking for an analyst who can build a deep understanding of both the simulation tool and behaviour, and use it to deliver meaningful insight to the rest of our business.
We’re looking for someone to join our Fulfilment Analyst team, working alongside the other analysts to build a true data-driven approach across our Fulfilment operation, while specialising in how to unlock additional insight through simulation. You will work closely with diverse stakeholders to understand their requirements, then configure the appropriate simulations and convert the results into clear and meaningful analysis. Through research, experimentation and collaboration, combining real-world and simulated data, you will become an expert in some of Ocado’s most advanced and complex technology. You will help to define the way we use simulation, from processes and best practices for analysis through to our interaction with stakeholders.
While developing insights through simulation will be the primary focus of the role, there will also be opportunities to work with other analysts in the team to analyse data related to Ocado’s fulfilment applications. Insights and recommendations produced from this analysis will then be shared with relevant product teams to help shape their future roadmaps.
About the team
The Analyst team helps product teams within the Fulfillment stream to use data to make better informed decisions.. You will also work with a range of stakeholders across the wider business (e.g. sales teams) who need simulation data to help with their decisions. Currently, the Analyst team comprises four members in London and Bulgaria, with varying skills and experience. This will be our first simulation analyst hire for the Fulfilment stream, but there are a number of other simulation analysts in the wider Ocado Technology division, who can provide support and guidance as required.
About the work
A typical piece of analysis work may involve:
- Liaising with stakeholders to understand their requirements
- Determining how best to answer these questions, which might be existing data, a spreadsheet model, a suite of simulations, or even not to answer at all
- Anticipating any additional functionality required (to the simulation, algorithms or tooling), and communicating with the relevant development teams
- Planning and configuring appropriate simulation studies
- In-depth analysis of the results, building a complete picture of the simulation behaviour
- Running further experiments and investigations into any unexpected or interesting behaviours
- Producing an accessible and understandable summary of the results, at the appropriate level of detail, with a clear description of the limitations and assumptions made
The analysis will typically involve using some of the following (previous experience desirable): Microsoft Excel, Python (e.g. Jupyter, Pandas), Google Data Studio, SQL, Google BigQuery.
We’re interested in speaking to people who have:
- Proven numeracy skills, probably with a good STEM degree (or higher)
- Demonstrable experience of generating insight from data
- A keen eye for detail, with the inquisitiveness and drive to understand things in depth
- Speed of learning, ability to quickly pick up new ideas and use a wide range of tools to solve challenging problems
- Ability to communicate clearly and precisely with technical and non-technical teams, both verbally and in writing
- Drive to continually improve themselves and their team, and to find better ways of working
- Proven experience using SQL and Python
Bonus points for experience with any of the following:
- Google Data Studio/BigQuery, advanced spreadsheet use
- Any other analysis tools or approaches
- Professional or academic data-driven research
- Use of simulation to understand complex systems
- Applied statistics (e.g. significance testing, regression, machine learning)
- Retail operations, or Ocado’s new “Rainbow” CFC technology
- Business process mapping within operations or technology
- Recommending or implementing business performance improvements
- Working with software development teams and business stakeholders
- Kanban or other agile methodologies
What we offer you
- The chance to work on innovative products
- The opportunity to solve tough tech challenges
- A start-up mindset and a strong culture of autonomy, craftsmanship, collaboration, trust
- No-blame culture
- A great remuneration package
- A team that supports your professional and personal growth - 20% of our people have been promoted within 1 year
- 25 days paid leave
- Bonuses and benefits
- Home office practice
- “Work from Anywhere” policy
- 24/7 Employee Assistance Program
- Life Insurance
- Enhanced Maternity and Paternity Leave policy
- Free Share Plan program
- Share Purchase Plan program
- Work-life balance
- A choice of equipment (MacOS / Linux / Windows)
- Training and your own training dedicated budget (for conferences, courses etc.)
- Learning Fridays and other team initiatives
There’s a lot going on at Ocado Technology! Click to find out more about our values and our recruitment process.
Ocado is an equal opportunities employer and as such makes every effort to ensure that all potential employees are treated fairly and equally, regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or union membership status.
We are committed to making reasonable adjustments to provide a positive barrier-free recruitment process and supportive work environment. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at the time of application.