"We are on a mission: to transform the future of online grocery through cutting-edge technology innovation.”
What does the team do
Our Handling Robotics teams are at the cutting-edge of our technology engineering business. From the design and manufacture of the most state-of-the-art products in the business, to their delivery into our multi-million pound Customer Fulfilment Centres (CFCs) across the globe, our bespoke electrical and mechanical development projects are pushing the boundaries of innovation and automation.
The Storage and Fulfilment team is responsible for the development of product handling systems, developed by our design team for manufacture. Once successfully released the product will be handed over to Ocado’s Engineering Supply Chain team, who manage ongoing manufacture.
What will I be doing?
The Manufacturing Development Engineer is responsible for the process and procedures for transitioning products into full manufacture including work instructions, test procedures and test and assembly jigs and fixtures.
- This position will be to ensure that all products developed by Ocado are optimised for manufacture and assembly.
- Overseeing the transition of developed products from prototype to full manufacture.
- Ensure process capability for components through development by identifying and tracking critical to quality parameters (CTQ).
- Identify and deliver test and assembly fixture requirements.
- Participate in value engineering activities.
- Act as the primary technical interface with the supplier.
- The place of work is Welwyn Garden City, but the role will require regular presence at other UK and international locations.
What we are looking for
- An engineering / science qualification or equivalent industry experience
- Experience in design for manufacture in areas such as industrial equipment, instrumentation, high volume manufacture or FMCG
- Experience in value engineering.
- Knowledge of Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP) and Production Part Approval Process (PPAP).
- Experience using SolidWorks 3D modelling and PDM software, Microsoft Office systems.
- Experience in continuous process improvement
- Good understanding of the engineering change process
- Demonstrates awareness and application of analytical tools to aid the manufacturing process
- Knowledge of design for assembly and manufacture
- Ability to build relationships from shop floor to management level, identify and clearly communicate key information.
- Prioritise issues, communicate reasoning and negotiate for resources when needed
- Both technical and commercial awareness
- Ability to write work instruction and technical reports
- Good investigative and problem-solving skills with excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to think logically and methodically.
- Good interpersonal skills and organisational skills.
- Knowledge of statistical packages and Microsoft Office systems.
Able to demonstrate
- a track record of influencing product design to enhance manufacture.
- experience in CTQ aspects of process capability.
- identifying and resolving manufacturing issues.
- working across a spectrum of manufacturing processes including general machining processes, metal fabrication and forming.
- Knowledge of latest manufacturing processes and how best to apply them to ensure the highest manufacturing quality and cost optimisation.
About Ocado Technology
“We are on a mission: to transform the future of online grocery through cutting-edge technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is changing the way the world shops using advanced Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Robotics, Big Data, Cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond.
We build everything in-house: from intelligent, frictionless e-commerce platforms to highly automated warehouses, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies. We’re working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast-growing, global company. Today we have colleagues in development centre across the world - London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria), Barcelona (Spain), Stockholm (Sweden), Las Vegas, San Francisco (USA) and Toronto (Canada).
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
What we offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. We can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and;
- Hybrid Working patterns (varies depending on your role/team)
- 30 days Work from Anywhere policy
- Wellbeing support through Apps such as Unmind and an Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 27 days after 5 years service (plus optional holiday purchase)
- Pension scheme (various options available including employer contribution matching up to 7%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 22 weeks paid maternity leave and 6 weeks paid paternity leave (once relevant service requirements complete)
- Train Ticket loan (interest-free)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Free shuttle bus to and from Welwyn Garden City Station to the office
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn share schemes
- 15% discount on Ocado.com and free delivery for all employees
- Income Protection (can be up to 50% of salary for 3 years) and Life Assurance (3 x annual salary)
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Our Talent Community is a great way to stay up-to-date with our latest career opportunities, as well as news and relevant careers insights. Register today, and be the first to be notified when a role we think you’d be perfect for becomes available.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally. We are committed to making reasonable adjustments to provide a positive, barrier-free recruitment process and supportive work environment. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at the time of application.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Whilst we are able to offer visa sponsorship, please note that we are only able to cover costs relating to the Certificate of Sponsorship and the Immgration Skills Charge only. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one. All benefits information is subject to change and the terms of the individual arrangements.