“Ocado Technology, powering the future of retail through sustained disruptive technology innovation...”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using the cloud, robotics, AI, and IoT. We develop the innovative software and systems that power Ocado.com, the world’s largest online-only grocery retailer as well as the global ‘Ocado Smart Platform’. With everything from websites to fully autonomous warehouse that we design in-house, our employees need to be specialists in a wide range of technologies to help drive our business.
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
What does the team do
We are the Warehouse Control Systems team in the Engineering Control Systems area.
Our flagship product, the Warehouse Control System, is a software layer sitting between low level hardware controllers and business logic applications. It is aimed at hiding the complexities of communication with the hardware, and abstracting layout details of specific warehouses. The system tracks movement of all containers on conveyors (e.g. going through various stations), and controls hardware at junctions to route containers to their destinations.
Another system we develop controls machines that automatically put bags into empty delivery containers. This includes a frontend for monitoring the bagging operation. Other applications we are responsible for control automated washing of hive storage containers, interface between the hive and conveyors, and parts of the fulfilment operation for frozen goods.
All of our control systems are real-time, highly available applications running in AWS - which creates some interesting challenges!
What would I be doing?
Participate effectively in all aspects of software development process including:
- Software construction (coding), Requirements analysis, Software and data design
- Development and execution of application tests including unit, integration, system, regression and performance
- Deployment of production ready code, Investigation and resolution of production issues
- Performance tuning, Maintenance and support of existing systems, Code review and change control
- Ad hoc reporting and analysis, Research, development & optimisation
- Support production systems as required
- Work closely with Team Leaders, Team Members and Customers on issues related to design and requirements.
- Attend regular meetings to report on progress and share ideas
- Reporting upwards to Team Leader so they are well informed of the work currently in development.
- Actively contribute to the process of continual improvement, with regard to self, team and systems
- Ensure that all software developed satisfies all business requirements as specified and adheres to all development standards, policies and procedures. In particular, that all code is developed in line with Ocado security best practice guidelines.
- Be prepared to work on different projects and/or rotate through teams according to business needs and/or agreed development objectives
- Actively developing our systems following agile methodologies using a diverse range of technologies.
- Collaborate with members of your immediate team and across the department.
- Motivated to work independently when necessary.
- Continually improve code and automate manual tasks as much as possible.
What we are looking for
- Strong theoretical background in computer science fundamentals
- Good knowledge of Java, preferably Java 8
- Willingness to work across the entire software stack
- Knowledge of Ansible, Docker and Kubernetes
- Knowledge of other programming languages and/or paradigms
- Experience in scripting language eg Bash
- Experience of working in an Agile environment
This would make you stand out from the crowd
- Experience and/or interest in building production-ready systems
- Experience and/or interest in real-time control systems or low-latency systems
- Experience in supporting production systems, problem investigation and resolution
About Ocado Technology
Ocado Technology is changing the way the world shops using advanced Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Robotics, Big Data, Cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond.
Find out more about how we are pioneering the future through serial technology innovation here.
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally. We are committed to making reasonable adjustments to provide a positive, barrier-free recruitment process and supportive work environment. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at the time of application.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Whilst we are able to offer visa sponsorship, please note that we are only able to cover costs relating to the Certificate of Sponsorship and the Immigration Skills Charge only. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one. All benefits information is subject to change and the terms of the individual arrangements.