“We are on a mission: to transform the future of online grocery through cutting-edge technology innovation.”
About Ocado Technology
Ocado Technology is changing the way the world shops using advanced Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Robotics, Big Data, Cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond.
Find out more about how we are pioneering the future through serial technology innovation here.
A bit about our team...
Our Bot Motion Performance team is involved in designing and developing robust control algorithms for the Ocado’s wheeled robotic system, performing experimental and modelling analyses to characterize the system behaviour, and use data driven approaches for performance evaluation and control design.
The team will improve existing control strategies and optimise our perception systems to improve scalability, efficiency and performance. As a senior software engineer, you will work with other specialist teams contributing to the continuous improvement of Ocado’s Bot control systems stack. If you are an experienced embedded or motor control engineer, we're keen to talk to you.
How you'll spend your days…
- Designing and developing embedded software for our motion controllers
- Performing data analysis for the development and optimisation of motive systems
- Prototyping software for discovery, analysis and implementation of motive solutions
- Creating tests to validate accuracy and conformity of code
- Review and maintain code written by others
- Investigating issues as reported by grid operations and other engineering teams
- Analysing and optimising hardware behaviour and performance
- Collaborating closely with cross functional engineering teams
We’d like to talk to you if you have...
- Proven experience in at least two of the following;
- Developing motive solutions that combine software and hardware
- Experience in developing highly reliable embedded software
- Strong understanding of control systems engineering, ideally in a real-time environment
- Proficiency in C/C++ development
- Confident using Python with associated data processing/machine learning toolkits (e.g. Numpy, Scipy, Jupyter notebooks)
- Knowledge of or interest in learning data Frameworks (e.g. BigQuery, Google Cloud Platform, Airflow)
- Experience in developing unit tests and working with testing frameworks
- Some experience with version control (Git) and CI/CD pipelines
Bonus points if you also have...
- Have a relevant qualification in mechatronics, robotics, computer science
- A good understanding of Electronics
- Actuators and sensors
- Experience with control solutions for mobile robots
- Experience with working with Big Data and data analytics tools
What we can offer you...
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. We can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and;
- Flexible working patterns and options for remote working (depending on your role/team)
- Wellbeing support through Apps such as Unmind and an Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 27 days after 5 years service (plus optional holiday purchase)
- Pension scheme (various options available including employer contribution matching up to 7%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 22 weeks paid maternity leave and 6 weeks paid paternity leave (once relevant service requirements complete)
- Train Ticket loan (interest-free)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Free shuttle bus to and from Welwyn Garden City Train Station to the Welwyn Garden City offices
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn share schemes
- 15% discount on Ocado.com and free delivery for all employees
- Income Protection (can be up to 50% of salary for 3 years) and Life Assurance (3 x annual salary)
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Whilst we are able to offer visa sponsorship, please note that we are only able to cover the company-specific costs. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one. All benefits information is subject to change and the terms of the individual arrangements.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.