Ocado Group’s mission is to transform online grocery through cutting-edge technology and automation. Our pioneering Ocado Smart Platform (OSP), which combines our proprietary end-to-end software systems with our physical fulfilment assets, offers grocery retailers a faster, more flexible, cost-efficient and low-risk way to develop an online grocery business.
Within Ocado Group sits Platform Implementation, whose mission is ‘to orchestrate the implementation of Ocado’s platforms globally’. This department focuses on the full programme management life cycle of the implementation of our highly automated, multi-million pound Customer Fulfilment Centres (CFCs) - from pre-deal, through to the design, construction, installation, testing and ‘go-live’ phases (with all the process and portfolio management in between). This department is instrumental in ensuring we deliver these CFCs on time, to budget, and to the specific requirements of each client.
Within Platform Implementation sits the Product Application Engineering team who are responsible for the application, configuration and ongoing life support of our solutions used to power our automated CFCs. They are the engineering experts providing centralised specialist knowledge to multiple teams within Ocado.
Field Engineers within Product Application, directly support the Product Engineering Specialists with all in field activities. They maintain in-depth, practical product knowledge across all of our products both developed in-house and externally sourced and directly supporting other teams (TDI, MSC & Change Implementation) during the design, manufacture and install phases of new CFC’s. Providing ongoing product support to Engineering Ops and Continuous Improvement teams. Be able to resolve any engineering issues including basic PLC troubleshooting and supporting new code rollouts as well as providing valuable feedback to the development team for future developments.
The role requires Field Engineers to spend 85% of their time in the field however, you will need to spend an initial period (approx. 3/6 months) split between our head offices in Hatfield and the field to ensure sufficient learning in the role.
What will you be doing?....
- Ensure Manufacturing and Supply Chain has all that is required to enable them to work up any required quality / supply chain related issue or solution through the appropriate process
- Ensure Product Engineers have all that is required to enable them to raise any required product change request or solution through the Change Control Process
- Field mark ups of product documentation (drawings, manuals, guides, checklists etc.) are sent in a timely and clear manner to technical support colleagues & Product Engineers
- Provide direct engineering product support as required, ensuring issue is appropriately resolved both in the immediate and at root cause
- Reporting of field visits, product issues are formally communicated back to technical support colleagues and escalated to product engineers as required
- Review designs for MHE systems to ensure conformance with Ocado PLC code requirements
- On-site and off-site pre-checks of vendor conveyor equipment build and modifications
- Support Automation Engineering Implementation with installation & commissioning expertise and advice, ensuring best practice is followed and understood
- Troubleshoot fieldbus networks using software and hardware diagnostic tools
- Liaise with Asset Handling Automation team to report issues or improvements to the control of the MHE
- Create and maintain SCADA visualisation for the warehouse, including any supporting systems such as OPC servers
- Identify problems with IT networking to the MHE and work with the technical support team to resolve any issues
- Support 3rd party suppliers in their commissioning and acceptance testing using Ocado supplied code libraries
- Field Engineering - demonstrable experience & success
- Installation & commissioning of complex products and / or systems
- Acceptance Testing
- Siemens TIA portal (V14/V15/V16)
- Profinet commissioning and troubleshooting
- Experience with 24v roller drives such as Interroll, TGW KingDrive
- Understanding of electrical drawings and basic electrical fault finding skills
- Deliver projects on time and within approved budgets
- IT literate, proficient with Microsoft Office and/or Google Suite
- Excellent technical and practical competence relating to automation and general engineering
- Experience of projects and products in manufacturing, automotive, airports, FMCG distribution or similar field
- Aptitude to debate detail (both technical and commercial) with both internal and external parties
- Skilled in use of small hand tools
- Comfortable using field test & measurement equipment e.g. DMM
- Remote Product Support
Technical / Engineering qualification, to HND level
Preferred (in addition to minimum):
- Comfortable using CAD packages, e.g. Solidworks, Eplan, Inventor etc.
- Profibus & ASI bus troubleshooting
- Inverter setup with Schneider SoMove or SEW Motion Studio
- Siemens safety PLC and experience with functional safety systems
About Ocado Group...
When our journey started, we were all about changing the way people shop for groceries. 20 years later, we’re a FTSE 100 business developing our own ground breaking technology, opening multiple sites at an accelerating rate and engaging in exciting new business partnerships around the world!
Transforming an industry means also transforming the way we do business. As we continually develop new technologies and customer propositions, we’re looking for the brightest talents to lead us into the next stage of our evolution: enhancing our capabilities, inspiring our teams and developing new ways of working.
Only a 20 minute commute from London King’s Cross and with a free shuttle bus provided from Hatfield Station to the office
Ocado employee experience is very important to us. As well as keeping a smile on your face with weekly massages, a games room, coffee shop, weekly food samples and amazing food hall to satisfy your daily breakfast and lunch taste buds..All Ocado employees are offered a benefits package of - 25 days holiday + the option to buy an additional 3 via salary sacrifice, 15% discount on your weekly ocado shop, pension, share options, discounts on gym memberships and much much more….
Ocado Group is an equal opportunities employer and as such makes every effort to ensure that all potential employees are treated fairly and equally, regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or union membership status.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Please note that unfortunately we are unable to cover the cost of your visa at this time. We do cover the relevant company costs for visa sponsorship. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Our values: we’re in it together, we are proud of what we do, we can be even better……