“Ocado Technology, powering the future of retail through sustained disruptive technology innovation...”
Data Governance - Team Leader (Strategy & Operations)
London (Old Street) OR Hatfield, 3-4 days WFH per week
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using the cloud, robotics, AI, and IoT. We develop the innovative software and systems that power Ocado.com, the world’s largest online-only grocery retailer as well as the global ‘Ocado Smart Platform’. With everything from websites to fully autonomous warehouse that we design in-house, our employees need to be specialists in a wide range of technologies to help drive our business.
Data already powers insights, products and capabilities in every part of Ocado Technology but we’re really just getting started. The Data Science - Strategy and Operations team was set up this year to ensure that Ocado Technology continues to get the best out of data, and that it’s a brilliant place to build a career in data. Data Governance is a key element of this mission, enabling us to rapidly and responsibly translate data into value.
About the role:
The Data Governance (S&O) Lead’s role is to enable the data team to leverage Ocado Technology’s data to create business value for us and our partners.
You will have a high degree of autonomy (and consequent responsibility) to make a difference and make your mark. You will collaborate with teams across Ocado Technology to solve critical problems and gain exposure to data science in diverse applications from demand forecasting, search, recommendations, routing, object detection and robotic control.
- Define and execute a governance vision that nimbly balances good data behaviors with the processes and tooling that allow rapid data insights and innovation.
- Be an effective and inspirational leader with the ability to set strategic direction and define operational practice.
- Own data governance policies, standards, guidelines, and procedures and set up structures and training to ensure that they are embedded in our ways of working.
- Work with the engineering productivity team to embed data governance in data and data science platforms, including the data model and data definitions.
- Be the custodian of good quality data, working alongside product engineering teams to define processes to ensure data quality, and set data quality KPIs, metrics, tracking and reporting
- Liaise with stakeholders such as the DPO, Chief Data Scientist and the senior management team to resolve data governance questions encountered in planning and operations.
- You will be expected to develop the Data Governance team to match its remit, recruiting an additional [two] heads to add to the two experienced individuals already in post.
We would like to hear from if you,
- You have a passion for driving good data behaviors that enable value-creation
- Have considerable experience of defining and implementing data governance solutions
- Are knowledgeable about the data governance technology solutions available and emerging trends
- Have a solid technical understanding from hands-on experience of data engineering, data design and/or data development.
- Are a proactive problem-solver, comfortable with ambiguity
- Can readily build productive alliances, influence and manage complex stakeholder relationships
Bonus points if you also have experience in one of the following areas (in no particular order):
- Hands on experience with one or more market-leading metadata management, reference data management or workflow management tools
- Data science and/or operations research
- Data ethics and responsible technology.
- Flexible working patterns and options for remote working (depending on your role/team)
- Wellbeing support through Apps such as Unmind and an Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 27 days after 5 years service (plus optional holiday purchase)
- Pension scheme(various options available including employer contribution matching up to 7%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 22 weeks paid maternity leave and 6 weeks paid paternity leave (once relevant service requirements complete)
- Train Ticket loan (interest-free)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Opportunity to participate in Share save and Buy as You Earn share schemes
- 15% discount on Ocado.com and free delivery for all employees
- Income Protection(can be up to 50% of salary for 3 years) and Life Assurance(3 x annual salary)
- Free shuttle bus to and from Hatfield Train Station to the Hatfield offices
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Whilst we are able to offer visa sponsorship, please note that we are only able to cover the company-specific costs. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one. All benefits information is subject to change and the terms of the individual arrangements.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.