“We are on a mission: to transform the future of online grocery through cutting-edge technology innovation.”
What does the team do?
This role sits in Ocado Technology, supporting two £multi-billion UK retail businesses. It is a fast-moving, complex area with all the challenges of improving governance whilst enabling business change and growth. We have a proud track record of innovating and giving our people the autonomy to take calculated risks - so it’s a dynamic environment.
We were early Cloud adopters (especially Google Cloud for data), and we have a diverse on-premise technology estate, so there is plenty to learn, and the technical challenges are many and varied.
We now have an exciting opportunity for a Data Governance Team Leader to join our Data Services team, to oversee a team of three governance analysts, who take a data-driven approach to monitoring and managing our data assets. Personal data processing has been an area of focus, and we have ambitions to take a more holistic approach to driving best practice across all data. We are also on a path to increased automation too, and this is an area you will be encouraged to develop further.
You are a good fit for this role if you have some data governance leadership experience, or perhaps are a senior individual contributor looking to take your first step into formal leadership.
What would I be doing?
This is a new role, so you will need to adapt as circumstances change. As of today, your responsibilities centre around 4 key themes:
- Setting the department's Data Governance strategy and goals in light of our context and desired outcomes.
- Maintaining a plan/roadmap, and sharing regular structured progress updates with relevant stakeholders.
- Managing governance risks of all types, in a systematic manner (e.g. based on a recognised framework/standard).
- Being accountable for problems, and own their resolution.
- Collaborating effectively with adjacent teams to further your respective goals.
- Being passionate about data governance, and in turn inspiring all of us to do better.
- Representing Ocean in all wider governance forums, in Ocado Technology and in Group.
- Owning the governance relationship with the department's 3 primary customers.
- Line managing each team member, including administrative and performance management.
- Guiding each team member’s career as data governance practitioners.
- Aiming higher:
- While ensuring the department's Data Governance is taking all appropriate measures to implement regulatory and other external constraints - looking beyond compliance. Seeking to improve all aspects of data where better governance can help - such as user experience, or data quality.
- Maintaining your awareness of best practices outside Ocado, through reviewing literature, attending conferences, nurturing professional networks and so on.
What we are looking for:
- Commercial experience of leading data governance in an organisation of comparable size/complexity.
- Line management experience, and a passion for coaching and developing others.
- A good understanding of GDPR, learnt through hands-on implementation experience.
- Extremely clear and persuasive communication, both verbal and written.
- Strong attention to detail and systematic approach to problem solving.
- Makes progress, problems and risks visible in a timely manner to relevant stakeholders.
- Drives continuous improvement culture by setting standards and challenging us to get better.
- Influences internally in the department and externally.
- Comfortable with managing ambiguity.
This would make you stand out from the crowd:
- Data governance related qualifications.
- Data analysis skills (SQL).
- Exposure to other regulatory frameworks beyond GDPR.
- Knowledge of current IT Security standards.
About Ocado Technology:
Ocado Technology is changing the way the world shops using advanced Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Robotics, Big Data, Cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond.
Find out more about how we are pioneering the future through serial technology innovation here.
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
What we offer you:
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. We regularly review our benefits to ensure we are supporting our employees appropriately. Currently, we offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and;
- Hybrid working patterns meaning part of the working week can be spent working remotely (typically 3 days per week). However, your working pattern will depend upon your role/team).
- 30 days ‘working from anywhere’ policy
- Wellbeing support through Apps such as Unmind and an Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 27 days after 5 years service (plus optional holiday purchase)
- Pension scheme (various options available including employer contribution matching up to 7%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 22 weeks paid maternity leave and 6 weeks paid paternity leave (once relevant service requirements complete)
- Train Ticket loan (interest-free)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Free shuttle bus to and from Hatfield Train Station to the Hatfield offices.
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn share schemes
- 15% discount on Ocado.com and free delivery for all employees
- Income Protection (can be up to 50% of salary for 3 years) and Life Assurance (3 x annual salary)
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Our Talent Community is a great way to stay up-to-date with our latest career opportunities, as well as news and relevant careers insights. Register today, and be the first to be notified when a role we think you’d be perfect for becomes available.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally. We are committed to making reasonable adjustments to provide a positive, barrier-free recruitment process and supportive work environment. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at the time of application.