“We are on a mission: to transform the future of online grocery through cutting-edge technology innovation.”
About Ocado Technology
Ocado Technology is changing the way the world shops using advanced Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Robotics, Big Data, Cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond.
Find out more about how we are pioneering the future through serial technology innovation here.
What does our team do?
Our Retrieval Robotics teams are at the cutting-edge of our technology engineering business. From the design and manufacture of the most state-of-the-art products in the business, to their delivery into our multi-million pound Customer Fulfillment Centres (CFCs) across the globe, our bespoke electrical and mechanical development projects are pushing the boundaries of innovation and automation.
Within Retrieval Robotics sits the Grid Development function, which is responsible for the design, testing and manufacture of our automated products relating to our Grid and its storage and safety functionality.
Imagine the challenges of developing an ultra high throughput automated system that is the size of 4 football pitches. Imagine the challenges of tolerance, scale, static and dynamic loads, manufacturing and rapid deployment for systems of this scale. Think of the challenges of developing a system with all of these requirements that must be “fit and forget” over a 20 year period of 24/7 use. Consider our latest challenge to achieve all of this within a system that must remain safe and operational after an earthquake. This is a very exciting product.
What would you be doing?
As a Technical Writer, you will interact with a multi-disciplinary and cross-functional team to extract and analyse product engineering information and deliver high quality Installation manuals, Maintenance manuals, and Service Bulletins that support the wide variety of Grid types and supporting products.
- Compose clear and coherent instruction documentation for different use-cases such as install, operation, maintenance, and service bulletins in Simplified Technical English (STE) based on ASD-STE 100 standards for both Mechanical and Electro-Mechanical products, in line with Ocado’s quality standards.
- Develop and maintain a comprehensive library of standardised technical terminology and documentation.
- Develop work figures, isometric, indented parts list and exploded view models for technical literature.
- Verification and validation of documentation - this will require flexibility and a practical approach using engineering expertise and experience. Although not physically demanding, the work will require a hands-on approach.
- Estimation of work and contribution to project planning
- Communicate to varying levels of seniority in both technical and non-technical audiences
- Collaborate with both internal and external partners to ensure our documentation is fit for purpose
- Contribute to the peer/design review and change management board
We're interested in people with...
- Prior experience of working as a Publication Engineering (or in the field of Engineering Documentation) in a structured authoring environment
- Confident in applying Engineering practices, techniques, standards, principles, theories, and concepts to create process and work instructions
- Proficiency in authoring tool formats (html, xml, sgml, ATA, S1000d)
- Reasoning, analytical mindset and strong mechanical aptitude.
- Understand and interrogate 3D CAD models, engineering drawings, electrical schematics, engineering bill of materials
- Ability to identify potential issues and recommend improvements/alternative solutions.
- A constructive approach to continuous improvement
- Willing to travel both in the UK and abroad for validation of documentation
- A relevent qualification in an engineering discipline would be a benefit
It would be a bonus if you also had...
- Exposure to Research and Development (R&D) and familiar with supporting new product development environments
- Used to working in a fast-paced, changing, professional environment;
- Experienced in generating realistic schedules and tracking progress against them
- Ability to prioritise for maximum productivity across multiple projects.
What we offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. We can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and;
- Hybrid Working patterns (varies depending on your role/team)
- 30 days Work from Anywhere policy
- Wellbeing support through Apps such as Unmind and an Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 27 days after 5 years service (plus optional holiday purchase)
- Pension scheme (various options available including employer contribution matching up to 7%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 22 weeks paid maternity leave and 6 weeks paid paternity leave (once relevant service requirements complete)
- Train Ticket loan (interest-free)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Free shuttle bus to and from Welwyn Garden City Train Station to the Welwyn Garden City offices
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn share schemes
- 15% discount on Ocado.com and free delivery for all employees
- Income Protection (can be up to 50% of salary for 3 years) and Life Assurance (3 x annual salary)
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Our Talent Community is a great way to stay up-to-date with our latest career opportunities, as well as news and relevant careers insights. Register today, and be the first to be notified when a role we think you’d be perfect for becomes available.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally. We are committed to making reasonable adjustments to provide a positive, barrier-free recruitment process and supportive work environment. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at the time of application.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Whilst we are able to offer visa sponsorship, please note that we are only able to cover the company-specific costs. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one. All benefits information is subject to change and the terms of the individual arrangements.