“We are on a mission: to transform the future of online grocery through cutting-edge technology innovation.”
A bit about our team...
We are currently looking for an experienced dynamic Modelling Simulation & Control Engineer to join our Bot Motion Control Team working on Ocado’s wheeled robotic system. You will actively engage in multidisciplinary projects with the focus to build accurate simulations and support improvements to the design and performance of our product. The team is involved in designing and developing robust control algorithms for the Ocado’s wheeled robotic system, performing experimental and modelling analyses to characterize the system behaviour, and use data driven approaches for performance evaluation and control design. The team will improve existing control strategies and optimise our perception systems to improve scalability, efficiency and performance. You will work with other specialist teams contributing to the continuous improvement of Ocado’s Bot control systems stack.
What you'll do...
- Mathematical modelling of high performing dynamic systems (including sub system components and system environment), including
- models to support initial feasibility and concept proving studies
- models to support design and testing (Software in the loop) of our motion control systems
- Support the design and development of the software for our motion controllers and our data analysis pipelines
- Writing code - for discovery, analysis and implementation of solutions
- Writing tests to validate accuracy and conformity of code
- Review and maintain code written by others
- Comply with team coding standards
- Investigate issues as reported by grid operations and other engineering teams
- Characterisation and analysis of hardware behaviour and performance
- Collaborate with multi-disciplinary teams
Our ideal candidate would have...
- Proven industry or academic experience of Simulation & Modelling
- Experience in dynamic modelling of multi-physics systems (including sub system components and system environment) in Matlab and Simulink
- Competent problem-solving credentials, technical leadership and ability to innovate
- A knowledge and understanding of Dynamics, Control and estimation theory
- Proficiency in Python with associated data processing/machine learning toolkits (Numpy, Scipy, Jupyter notebooks, etc.)
- Experience in developing tests and testing environments for Software in the Loop
- Familiarity with C/C++
This would make you stand out from the crowd...
- Have a Master’s degree / PhD ideally in mechatronics, robotics, computer science, electrical engineering
- Control system engineering experience, ideally in a real-time environment/embedded development
- Experience with version control (Git) and CI/CD pipelines
- A good understanding of Electronics
- Experience with acausal/physical modelling languages such as Simscape and/or Modelica
This is not a set in stone requirements list. We recognise the software industry is filled with smart people from so many different backgrounds. If you enjoy being part of the team and if you like: learning fast (through experimentation, self-motivation etc); being autonomous but able to collaborate (sharing knowledge is important to us); craftsmanship and innovation (we never stop questioning how we can be better), then we look forward to hearing from you
What we can offer you…
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. We can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and;
- Hybrid Working patterns (varies depending on your role/team)
- 30 days Work from Anywhere policy
- Wellbeing support through Apps such as Unmind and an Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 27 days after 5 years service (plus optional holiday purchase)
- Pension scheme (various options available including employer contribution matching up to 7%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 22 weeks paid maternity leave and 6 weeks paid paternity leave (once relevant service requirements complete)
- Train Ticket loan (interest-free)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Free shuttle bus to and from Welwyn Garden City Train Station to the Welwyn Garden City offices
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn share schemes
- 15% discount on Ocado.com and free delivery for all employees
- Income Protection (can be up to 50% of salary for 3 years) and Life Assurance (3 x annual salary)
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Our Talent Community is a great way to stay up-to-date with our latest career opportunities, as well as news and relevant careers insights. Register today, and be the first to be notified when a role we think you’d be perfect for becomes available.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally. We are committed to making reasonable adjustments to provide a positive, barrier-free recruitment process and supportive work environment. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at the time of application.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Whilst we are able to offer visa sponsorship, please note that we are only able to cover costs relating to the Certificate of Sponsorship and the Immgration Skills Charge only. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one. All benefits information is subject to change and the terms of the individual arrangements.